post #1 of Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
trcutting
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lifted YJ help

Just bought a '93 YJ... The previous owner did a spring over lift, how much of a lift in inches is this?

Second, my rear main seal is bad so I'm going to have a slip yoke eliminator installed to rid this problem and suggestions on different models? Morris 4x4 has several to choose from that vary in price. Do all of these upgrades have a double u-joint setup? I will not be going mudding but with be in sand and offroading.

Third, it looks as if the transfer case has been dropped about an inch to accommodate the spring over which I have read bad opinions about... Should I have the transfer case put back since I will have the slip yoke eliminator installed?

Fourth, the gear ratio? What gears for the differentials should I have installed to accommodate the 35" tires and offloading? If I leave the stock gears will it tear up the transmission or clutch?

post #2 of Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM
timbermorgan

I would not change and gear ratios on a jeep the are so low geard already u will be fine with 35
post #3 of Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
vtjeepthing
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey there. Wanted to take a crack at your questions. I too have a YJ with a spring over lift. I installed a Crown SYE kit and a Tom Woods shaft. All the SYE driveshafts use the double u-joint you are asking about. It helps reduce vibration at the angles the shaft has to work at. My YJ achieved about 5.5 inches of lift with the spring over lift. Lastly, I haven't needed to investigate gearing. The stock gears seem able to do the job. I'm not sure about rock crawling. That would be an area best left to someone that does it. For highway/trail/mud I've been fine.

A big Jeep requires a bigger wallet!
post #4 of Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM
vtjeepthing
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and yes I would remove the transfer case drop. There's no need for it with the SYE kit. Happy Jeeping.

A big Jeep requires a bigger wallet!
post #5 of Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
trcutting
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great info. Thank you!
post #6 of Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
wingnutt98

About the gearing, yes it is very crucial to gear it properly ! With the 35 in tires if its a 2.5 I would go 4.88 and with the 4.0 run 4.56. You will notice a difference in the power on the high way and it with perform a lot better out on the trails.
post #7 of Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
trcutting
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The rear and front axels are stock. Should they be changed along with the gears or can they be used?
post #8 of Old 07-18-2012, 07:34 AM
wingnutt98

It's up to you. If you wheel it hard you will spend lots of money keeping the stock axles together. You could do an 8.8 explorer rear and a wagoner 44 front. 35 " tires are pretty much the max on the stock axles.
post #9 of Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
trcutting
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Would a 96-98 explorer rear axle work?
post #10 of Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 PM
wingnutt98

Yes. I think they are a little narrower But only by an inch. I know that some run them with 1/2 inch wheel spacers to make up the difference.