Engine:4.2 L

Transmission:Manual 5 speed

Transfer Case:Stock

Front Axle:Dana 30

Rear Axle:Dana 44

Suspension:Stock Leaves

Tires:Big Foot 30x9.50R15

Wheels:Jeep Logo 15" Alloys

Armor:Homemade radiator skidplate (more for sticks than rocks)

Recovery Gear:100 ft of 5/8" Bull rope (14000 lb test)

Accessories:GM TBI Fuel Delivery W/Howell Controller

Future Modifications:All of the above!

I Jeep therefore I am.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 12:46 PM
I started with a 88 YJ with a very tired 258 that had the Howell system installed on it. Pulled that motor out put in a rebuilt 1972AMC360 from a wrecked javelin. Put the Howell on that, changed the injectors to the ones for the Chevy 350 and now I put in the Moates G2 adapter plus zif socket. Got a Burn2 and a handful of 27sf512 chips. Now I'm waiting for the ALDL Bluetooth from 1320 electronics. Once I take the plunge into adding ESC to the setup I will be getting close to the perfect tune. I know I'll never get there fully but its a hobby, right? right. I Jeep therefore I am. This is the long story made short up to now. Following this post I intend to go back to the beginning and add the gory details.

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 04:52 PM
In 2014 I bought the 88 from another engineer i worked with for $1000.00 ! Wow ! He was tired of the "Just Empty Every Pocket" routine. I don't know how many times he told me that joke over the next year. He would ask me weekly what i had to fix on it and then say IT. (See above) I was not deterred. Not even a little. I had always wanted a Jeep. It had a worn out 258 that the mechanics had convinced him to put Howell on. Worse it had the Peugot BA.10.5 tranny. Oh well, it was a start.

Attachment 2741017

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 05:08 PM
I ran it for a year while i went through the learning curve. Then after two camping trips and oil fouled plugs forcing me of the road both times I decided to dive in and put an AMC 360 in and reconfigure the Howell for that. Here is the 86 waggy that donated the motor that i got most of my bolt on parts from. Manifolds, motor mounts, pan, rocker covers, dizzy, etc.

Attachment 2741025

below is the rebuilt core from the 1972 javelin wreck. I did not use the waggy core.

Attachment 2741033

Below is the new plant dropped into place. See the GM TBI where a crapburetor would s#it.

Attachment 2741041

it took a few weeks to get it running. Then over to the exhaust shop for a week and then it sat in my driveway for two months while I scrounged the parts to get the TBI system reconfigured for the 360.

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 05:52 PM
So after i got the system running just a little better than terrible it ate the distributor gears (both). And it had to sit in the weeds for a year while I put time/money into the house addition. Now that the house is done (yea right more like: half done!) I put new gears on the distributor and drive gear plus new timing chain and timing gears. I Made sure to put the oil slinger ring on the front of the crank shaft so it wouldn't chew up another distributor gear,oops!

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 05:56 PM
I put some old school big truck style mirrors on it. Hey, I can actually see out of these!

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 05:58 PM
I started with a 88 YJ with a very tired 258 that had the Howell system installed on it. Pulled that motor out put in a rebuilt 1972AMC360 from a wrecked javelin. Put the Howell on that, changed the injectors to the ones for the Chevy 350 and now I put in the Moates G2 adapter plus zif socket. Got a Burn2 and a handful of 27sf512 chips. Now I'm waiting for the ALDL Bluetooth from 1320 electronics. Once I take the plunge into adding ESC to the setup I will be getting close to the perfect tune. I know I'll never get there fully but its a hobby, right? right. I Jeep therefore I am.

toader
View toader's Jeep
03-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Burned a few versions of my bin so far. Tweaking start afr and idle, but I can't do any serious tuning until: 1) I get my ALDL Bluetooth transmiter and, 2) I take the plunge into spark control and modify my duraspark dizzy. hey self remember: its a war of attrition. I Jeep therefore I am.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome