Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > YJ Wrangler > Jeep YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Jeep YJ Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep YJ Wrangler Next Jeep

Jeep YJ

Email Bookmark Print
element77
b falls

Jeep Information

Year:1994

Model:wrangler

Engine:2.5 L 4 cylinder

Transmission:stock

Transfer Case:stock

Front Axle:stock

Rear Axle:stock

Suspension:stock

Tires:off road 235 75 15

I have a 1994 4 cyl 2.5 L Jeep YJ, it starts but you have to wait a few minuties for the auto shutdown relay to engage, it's sounds as tho the auto shutdown relay trips out for a few minutes (sometimes 15) before it actually switches (it makes a consistant clicking noise before it engages). i have tried a different relay but no change, i was thinking maybe it's the fuel pump and it has to build up fuel pressure before the auto shutdown relay engages but i dunno, any help or if someone has had a similar issue, your advise and/anwsers will be greatly appreciated! Please Help!

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

Yjmudding
View Yjmudding's Jeep
06-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by element77
I have a 1994 4 cyl 2.5 L Jeep YJ, it starts but you have to wait a few minuties for the auto shutdown relay to engage, it's sounds as tho the auto shutdown relay trips out for a few minutes (sometimes 15) before it actually switches (it makes a consistant clicking noise before it engages). i have tried a different relay but no change, i was thinking maybe it's the fuel pump and it has to build up fuel pressure before the auto shutdown relay engages but i dunno, any help or if someone has had a similar issue, your advise and/anwsers will be greatly appreciated! Please Help!
Hey I had this same exact problem on my 1992 wrangler. For mine I had a loose ground in the electrical box and the clicking is the relay searching for a ground. It might be for your fuel pump that's what mine was. Open the box and test to see if you have all grounded and if not just run a wire from where it is ungrounded onto the frame. Good luck!

element77
View element77's Jeep
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
hey thanks alot, i appreciate your reply! i'll have a look at that.
just curious, when you say electrical box do you mean the fuse panel and ifso, the fuse panel under the hood or the one in the cab? again thanks!

thanks again for all your help i have identified the problem.
i need a new pcm.. and im having a difficult time finding one, if anyone has one or knows where i can get one please reply!

Yjmudding
View Yjmudding's Jeep
06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
For me it was the fusebox in the hood with all the relays. If you said it's the auto shutdown relay then I'd test that first. If you re in fact missing a ground that is something you need to fix as soon as you can or you might end up needing a new computer if it gets shorted out. Also your if its the ground for your fuel pump your pump might already be shorted and will only work when it wants. This happened to me and now I'm in the process of putting a new fuel pump in. Not fun

sbsg2005

View sbsg2005's Jeep
06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Check your grounds like he said. Personally I would take them all off and clean the connections real good. Check to see if you have a check engine light when you first turn the key to the run position if not check out this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

This thread can tell you how to trouble shoot and repair or replace if you don't feel you can handle doing the repair.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.