Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wiring nightmare!!

573 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  76LEVISCJ7 
#1 ·
I got my first jeep about a mount ago and I knew when I got it that there were wire messed up, but I didn't know things would be this bad.

First of I the break lights/ turn signal, the turn signal switch is very weird.. It doesnt like to spring back to the middle when I cancel it. And then when I push it to the middle it has to Be in a perfect spot to make the left rear brake light work...

Then my temp gauge doesn't work/ light up, same with the fuel gauge. But the Fuel gauge is because someone swapped the tanks.

Also my started key cylinder broke so I have to use that little connecting rod to start it. For the starter I want to just get a push button and I'll integrate a simple key that will allow power to go the the starter button.

I'd be glad to except any input and help from anyone on these problems, I'm a noob to jeeps so I'm all ears.

#2 ·
Search keyed ignition cylinder lock removal in the forum. I found a members link which included photos to get you through it. I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. The information was on point. While accessing the cylinder, you will also be able to get to the turn signal switch. I suggest you take pictures of of your findings and use a permanent ink marker to mark the placement of the parts. It will assist you in reassembling the parts in there original position. The forum link will make those notations as you go.
My gauges are acting up too, I'm working that out now. It makes it easier to access the under dash area, if you remove the passenger seat. If you pick up a Haynes Repair Manual the wiring schematic will help you identify the wires.
Be careful not to damage or bend the rod your using to index the ignition switch, your gonna need it to restore the cylinders normal function, and you may have a hard time locating a replacement. Good luck. A good rule of thumb is to ask your questions on the forum, some one some where has done it, and can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.