Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > CJ-7 > New CJ7

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

New CJ7 Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep CJ-7 Next Jeep

New CJ7

Email Bookmark Print
SD1CJ7

Jeep Information

Year:1986

Model:CJ-7

Engine:4.2L

Starting off the overhaul bit by bit and it seems when I fix one thing a different problem seems to surface and show its nasty little self. I recently replaced the heater core and upgraded the fan motor with the recommended blazer motor and now I am not getting fuel to the carb. I have had this jeep for about 4 months now and it is my first jeep but I have been working on cars my whole life.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Ok so figured out the problem with the engine but it seems when it rains it poors. I have seen alot of posts on the different forums on this sight that alot of people have the same things going on. The fuel pump ended up being the problem, but the next day the starter went out, not a problem thats a quick 5 min swap out. Today though was the downpour of the rain storm. While I was about 2 blocks from school the clutch goes out while shifting into 2 gear. I am looking to upgrading to the Centerforce II clutch but any different suggestions?

nixer600
View nixer600's Jeep
06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Sounds like you know your stuff. But just incase. You didn't loose mechanical leverage did you?

My jeep would ever 1000 miles or so drop the clutch engagement arm doohickey, once I fixed my motor mounts and Trans mount and new arm it's been very reliable.

Otherwise, on my I6 a factory replacemt clutch had always worked fine for me, (36 inch tires) if your larger, then maybe a good Idea upgrading the clutch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I would like to think I know what I am doing but we will see. I have never messed with a clutch before but with my background on everything else I am not sure it should be to hard. When it went out I could feel it trying to engage and here it just rubbing so I am not sure that its the linkage, dont think though that tomorrow I am not going to go through it all on the outside before I start ripping it apart. Thank you for the tip though, its high hopes for sure.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-06-2013, 02:01 AM
So I am curious because I am new at this deep down restoration. But I am thinking that my clutch is gone. With out the clutch depressed I can shift between the gears and all i can hear is a slight rubbing/grinding sound. I want to say that its my clutch is gone, it has been an issue for about 2 months where every now and then when I would try and go from a dead stop I would hear a horrific grinding sound that made it sound as if my whole tranny would drop out. But I would take it out and put it back in gear and it would be fine, so if anyone with way more experience than myself can give me some better insight I would be greatly appreciative.

nixer600
View nixer600's Jeep
06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Check the adjustment, In the linkage, or if its hydraulic make sure it's full on fluid and bled and no leaks.

If not that, sounds like you have to drop the Trans. It's really not that hard just a good day on you back.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah thats the plan for today and tomo after work, glad there is a large surf coming and then getting 2 nephews and another nephew/niece in the next few days so its gonna be interesting to try and find time to go through everything and try and figure out whats wrong.

nixer600
View nixer600's Jeep
06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Your on the gulf coast?

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Nope. I am in San Diego and we have a nice summer swell coming our way. Head high plus waves.

nixer600
View nixer600's Jeep
06-06-2013, 05:13 PM
By the way, report back what ya find.

I'm here in Florida and the waves are rolling in from this storm in the gulf, so that's why I asked.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah I will prob pull it in the morning after surfing so I will post some pics to see if anyone sees anything that I don't. Now big question ATF or Gear oil in the T5, I have heard both sides of the argument and know its ATF thats recommended so I am curious what everyone thinks. Yeah sorry SoCal surfer, where the jeep is the perfect vehicle for out here.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Well got under the jeep today and when starting to pull the tranny I figured out that the driveshaft from the transfer case to the rear end was spinning. I then put the rear end on jack stands and I have found that I have either broke the axle on the driver side wheel or destroyed the gears. The drivers side wheel will wiggle about an inch and the passenger wheel is solid. From the looks of what I have seen the AMC 20 is not the greatest of rear ends and with the design of 2 piece axles it wouldn't surprise me if it was in the end the drivers side axle. Going to pull it apart later, had to regroup. Any answer on fluid for the T5 tranny.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Well here we go, thanks AMC for making a horrible design on the 2 piece axles. It looks as though I am doing am doing the upgrade to the rear end a bit earlier than expected.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Done and Done
Well all is done, had some issues with getting the bearings and clearances correct but in the end shes running like a champ. I am not sure I like the threaded fasteners in the hub, I am a firm believer that they should be reverse threaded in or pressed, just seems as though you are loosening them as you are tightening down on the wheel lug nuts, idk, maybe I am looking to much into this.

nixer600
View nixer600's Jeep
06-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Some people weld them I think. I duno, I bought one piece shafts myself.

nixer600
View nixer600's Jeep
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Good job on doing it yourself though.

SD1CJ7
View SD1CJ7's Jeep
06-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah my friend that I had weld everything for move has gone and moved back to North Carolina or else I would have tack welded all of the bolts on. If I can find one for the right price I will buy one rip it apart and give myself that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that they arent going to move and thank you, it was some work especially with that thing called life and a woman involved.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.