Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > CJ-7 > Natasha

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Natasha Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep CJ-7 Next Jeep

Natasha

Email Bookmark Print

CJDees7
Tucson

Jeep Information

Year:1979

Model:CJ-7

Engine:AMC 360 (EFI System)

Transmission:Turbo 400

Transfer Case:Dana 300

Suspension:2.5" Body Lift

Tires:33" BFG's

New to the off-road crowd, open to suggestions and tips!

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

RamblingCJ

View RamblingCJ's Jeep
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDees7
New to the off-road crowd, open to suggestions and tips!
Welcome to the addiction! Beautiful! I like the whole USA color scheme ya got going there . My suggestion.....don't get rid of it and enjoy!

CJDees7
View CJDees7's Jeep
03-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Hey, thanks a lot! Yeah, she is my little beauty... Just have a bit more wiring to do under the dash, some tuning to the new EFI system on her AMC 360, and a timing cover/oil pump swap and rebuild... but, I should have her in prime condition by mid next week!

RamblingCJ

View RamblingCJ's Jeep
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Hey, thanks a lot! Yeah, she is my little beauty... Just have a bit more wiring to do under the dash, some tuning to the new EFI system on her AMC 360, and a timing cover/oil pump swap and rebuild... but, I should have her in prime condition by mid next week!
And a 360! Very nice! Good luck with the swap and hope you get to wheeling next week

CJDees7
View CJDees7's Jeep
03-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Wellllll... just got the CJ on the road for the first time since I bought her, and discovered a few more wonderful issues.
1) Brakes are super firm but don't seem to want to stop the jeep. (No idea...)
2) Steering is super sloppy. .. (box mount is cracked, caster may be off as well)
3) shift points are off. (PO rebuilt the TH400 apparently)

Yep... it's a process, but she sure looks good in the driveway!

(Any advice, very welcome! )

RamblingCJ

View RamblingCJ's Jeep
03-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Wellllll... just got the CJ on the road for the first time since I bought her, and discovered a few more wonderful issues.
2) Steering is super sloppy. .. (box mount is cracked, caster may be off as well)

It'll look good wherever it is

I saw you made it over to the CJ Forum part.....you'll find all kinds of info over there.

1) power brakes? Calipers up front with rear drums? Sounds like the shoes might need to be adjusted. You could jack it up and see which brakes are limited. Does the emergency brake work with it neutral? Just thinking out loud.....

2) the sloppy steering could numerous factors. Cracked box definitely needs to be replaced. Check out your sway bar bushings and tie rod/drag link ends. If there's been any shackle lift put on, that's most likely your culprit.

3). Good luck....I've never worked on automatics.

Hope it all works out quickly. There's tons of info on here, as you'll discover, and numerous individuals that will be happy to lend advice. Definitely do your research, though!

larock
View larock's Jeep
03-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Have the same brake problem with my 83, disc front and drum back. Check the wheel cylinders because after sitting it will rot allowing fluid to get out and causing the lines to swell make the brakes stick and very stiff.

Quote:

CJDees7
View CJDees7's Jeep
03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
So, did a ton of research, and collected a ton of advice from you guys and decided to hit these problems head on!
Then I felt like an idiot... ha ha ha!
Turns out the problem with the brakes is that they are MANUAL! ha ha, no wonder they were so stiff. I can't believe I never realized that! I was so busy trying to diagnose some mysterious issue I never realized there was no booster!

As far as the steering, I have yet to check the caster angle, but my bushings in the front end are all shot to sh/t, so I purchased an entire poly bushing kit and will be installing those this coming week. Also found a crack in the steering box mount, so I will see how well all that does, then do caster adjusts as needed.

RamblingCJ

View RamblingCJ's Jeep
03-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote:
So, did a ton of research, and collected a ton of advice from you guys and decided to hit these problems head on!
Then I felt like an idiot... ha ha ha!
Turns out the problem with the brakes is that they are MANUAL! ha ha, no wonder they were so stiff. I can't believe I never realized that! I was so busy trying to diagnose some mysterious issue I never realized there was no booster!

As far as the steering, I have yet to check the caster angle, but my bushings in the front end are all shot to sh/t, so I purchased an entire poly bushing kit and will be installing those this coming week. Also found a crack in the steering box mount, so I will see how well all that does, then do caster adjusts as needed.
Ha! Well, glad your getting to learn your CJ in the process.

It doesn't look like you have that much of a lift, so I'm thinking your castor (as long as your axle perches are original) is probably good how it is. Unless you're dealing with a shackle lift or a huge lift, it's not that bad stock. Replace bushings like you're doing and things should tighten up. Key ones are sway bar (though some don't even run one) and all tie rod and drag link ends are good. I run about 3" lift and run 33" tires and have minimal bump steer. It should also "tighten" up with a new box.

Those manual brakes will be fine with what you've got going if adjusted and maintained.

Good luck!

RamblingCJ

View RamblingCJ's Jeep
03-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Also look into the HD steering box one piece bracket and the HD steering box brace. These are both future purchases for me. They really beef up the steering and weak points up front. You also might look into an H1 steering box swap if you have power steering or not.

CJDees7
View CJDees7's Jeep
03-31-2013, 01:05 AM
I do have power steering, and when I am idling the vehicle the wheels turn in sync with the steering, but when I drive it is all over the road.
The suspension is stock, and the lift is a body lift (PO), also it does have sway bars. So all those bushings will be replaced with the upgraded poly ones.
Also, I decided to do a power brake swap, ordered the new booster and M/S the same time as the bushing kit, so they should both be in by Monday.
I really can't wait till she handles reliably, I just want to take her out and show her off!

RamblingCJ

View RamblingCJ's Jeep
03-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
I do have power steering, and when I am idling the vehicle the wheels turn in sync with the steering, but when I drive it is all over the road.
The suspension is stock, and the lift is a body lift (PO), also it does have sway bars. So all those bushings will be replaced with the upgraded poly ones.
Also, I decided to do a power brake swap, ordered the new booster and M/S the same time as the bushing kit, so they should both be in by Monday.
I really can't wait till she handles reliably, I just want to take her out and show her off!
Hope this does it for you. Another thought.....I don't know if it pertains to you, but.....check and see if the rear ubolts are tight. If they are loose, letting of the gas suddenly will cause you to be pulled one way or the other. I just replaced my springs because they were old and one of the aluminum shims was working its way out causing the problem I just mentioned. You're going the right way, though, with the new bushings. Sometimes that's all it is. Good luck with the brake upgrade!

CJDees7
View CJDees7's Jeep
03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks, and thanks again for all the help!
I should have the upgrades done by this weekend, I will let y'all know how it turns out.

OilBurnerCJ
View OilBurnerCJ's Jeep
04-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Good choice!!
That CJ7is totally hot!! Great minds think alike right?? LOL Love the jeep! Nice to see it on here.

CJDees7
View CJDees7's Jeep
04-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Oh my God, thanks! I know it has a lot of issues, but I love her... but when I hear comments like that, I know I made the right choice!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.