Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > CJ-7 > The Jeep

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

The Jeep Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep CJ-7 Next Jeep

The Jeep

Email Bookmark Print
Unklmarty
Dingmans Ferry

Jeep Information

Year:1983

Model:CJ7 Limited

Engine:4.2l (258 cid)

Transmission:5 speed manual

Axle Gear Ratio:3.31/1

I bought this brand new 1983 CJ7 on March 4, 1983 for $11,500.00. It has run fine and taken me just about anywhere I wanted to go. I had to store it for 4 years in 2005 but brought it back to life in '09 and I am still in love with it, and so is my wife who drives it often.

Today I am trying to fix a few items that have been bothering me lately.

1st is the headlight switch. The original one, the dimmer fell apart so I replaced it with a new on from Morris4x4. That switch went in alright but the dash lights only come on when I turn the knob all the way clockwise.
Parking lights - OK
Head lights - OK
Interior lights - On when knob turned all the way, or when doors are open.
Dash lights - only come on with Interior lights. (when knob is turned all the way), nothing during the variable dash light brightness.
I ordered a new switch from Borg Warner arriving Wednesday I'll let you know if that one work any better.

2nd. Had a new gas tank installed at my local Jeep dealer but now when I fill the tank up full, I smell gas. When not so full no smell. Still trying to find the source of the gas odor. I have been under the vehicle and took many pictures but I still can't find the source of the smell.

3rd. There is a small hose that was attached to the passenger side of the rear axle, inboard of the shackle, that goes up over the gas tank but I can't find the other end, The hose has come loose from the axle and the end, with a brass fitting, just seems to sit in a small hole in the axle. I can't find anything about this hose. Any ideas?

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

mat8828
View mat8828's Jeep
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Hose off of axle is most likely the air vent, for when going through water.

Unklmarty
View Unklmarty's Jeep
06-09-2012, 08:19 PM
The Jeep
Hey thanks Matt that sounds right. I could't find any reference to it anywhere. Guess I should make sure it's connected nice and tight

After changing the headlight switch, all is OK. All dash lights work as expected.
The switch I replaced was brand new, but didn't work right. go figure. This new BW switch works perfectly.

Now for the gas smell. Any ideas?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.