Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > CJ-5 > None

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

None Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep CJ-5 Next Jeep

None

Email Bookmark Print

jpin86

dallas

Jeep Information

This is my first Jeep I bought when I was 21 years old.I bought it in November 1988 as a stock and slightly abused cj5 for $1900.00. It has seen many changes through out the years. It was my everyday driver for 8 years. I did a total frame off restoration with a fiberglass body after I got divorced in 1996. It took me 6 years to complete,and kept me out of trouble while I built it. Every nut/bolt has been replaced with stainless steel (grade 8 bolts on the suspension). Stainless steel brake and fuel lines. Warn full floating rear with detroit locker. 4 wheel disc brakes. Silver vein powder coated frame and roll bar. Corbeu seats with 4 point harness. Custom made dash with all autometer procomp gauges. Balanced .040 over 401 10.5 compression, harland sharp roller rockers, ported 1970 391c heads, custom ground Reed cam, Eldebrock airgap intake with holley 750 double pump carb, pro billet msd distributor with 6al box. Billet flywheel with center force dual friction clutch.

It has been through a lot in it's life time... front frame horns bent, body beat up pretty good (thats why it now has a fiberglass body) transmission ripped from its mount and put a nice dent on the inside frame.

Yeah, I know the body lift needs to go. I biult it when I was young and "bigger was better". The roll bar sandwiches the fiberglass body and has down tubes welded to the frame. I need to remove the body, cut the down tubes, and reweld. The problem is, this will ruin the silver vein powder coat, and thats a lot of work that I don't want to do right now. Beides, my boys(19, 14, and 3 year olds) love how big and loud it is, and that's what matters now. It's a garage queen now and has been retiered from heavy offroading. I take my boys out for rides on sunny days and maybe go to the local car shows. They love the attention it gets whereever we go. My oldest boy is 19 years old now and has driven it a few times. The 450 HP 401 scares the crap out of him, which is good, it keeps him from getting to cocky with it.

The engine has developed a knock, so it needs to come out, and find out what the heck happened. My boys are chomping at the bit to see how it comes apart and help to rebuild it. It only has 1000 miles on the engine. I found some metal flakes in the oil, so I am expecting to see a worn cam. I will probably put a roller cam in this time.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

kwhitehead12
View kwhitehead12's Jeep
05-11-2013, 04:32 AM
Beautiful. I am giving up on my 76 cj5 and selling for $2500. No time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.