Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > CJ-5 > help carb prob!!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

help carb prob!! Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep CJ-5 Next Jeep

help carb prob!!

Email Bookmark Print
peppermathews
glenoma

Jeep Information

Year:1972

Model:cj 5

Engine:231 odd-fire

Transmission:t-18

Transfer Case:dana 18

Front Axle:dana 44 locked

Rear Axle:dana 44 locked

Axle Gear Ratio:456

Tires:36x13.5x15 irocks

Recovery Gear:warn 9500i

ok so i'm new to the forum here it goes jeep ran alright but carb would crap out sometimes. so i baught a new 470 truck avenger and intake got it on, and put it back in time adjusted the carb with a vacuum gauge got it pulling about 19 on the gauge and it idles great and runs great if i slowly ease into the throttle but when i slam it full throttle about 1500rpm it sputters. so i took it for a drive just to see, and when i get on it from 1500 to 1800 it just spits and sputters. when i get past that point it opens up and rips. so i took it back to the garage and did a full tune up new plugs wires, cap, and rotor which is hei. and still does the same thing pulled my vacuum advance off and plugged the port to carb thinking maybe it was advancing it to much and it does the exact same thing. dont matter how i adjust the timing or the carb it still does it. im lost

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

loki1970
View loki1970's Jeep
04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
sounds like an accellerator pump problem to me. Either the pump is not working, or it's just not squirting enough juice into the carb. To check this; pull off your air cleaner and quickly open the throttle. If you see a squirt of gas into the venturi, then the pump is fine and you might need to look somewhere else. If no gas squirts in, you have a bad accellerator pump and need to replace it.

bobby4361y
View bobby4361y's Jeep
11-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Mine did that and I found that there was a delay in actuating the accel pump. Prob was the adjustment for the accel pump. The linkage didn't move the pump till the linkage moved 1/4 inch. I adjusted it to zero play. No more spitting at 1500rpm. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

iluvjeeps
View iluvjeeps's Jeep
03-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Could be your jet size to big of jets will cause similar problems mine has the same thing right now and I'm planning on putting smaller jets in it to see if that will fix it I've talked to a bunch of people and that's what they recommend doing next my accelerator pump is good

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.