post #1 of Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
howardholton
1973 CJ5 

Gumby5

Just bought this on 11/1/10. I have no idea about the mechanical details (please bear with me while I figure it out) but hope to have some time this weekend to dig into it.

1973 jeep cj-5, has new soft top, 2 bimini tops one black one tan. detroit locker in front and posi in rear, has complete roll cage mfg from 3" 3/16 inch galvanized pipe, same for the nerf bars. drop down spare below the ice chest rack, cb radio, stereo with amp. kc-lights on front along with a xd-9000i warn winch. 5 point harness.

The PO did some really neat things with the jeep - installed an electric air compressor from a cadillac with a hose coupler under the hood, hid the radio, built a mount out of an air chuck and rca connection to allow for a removable off road pole light to be installed, so that it was easy on/easy off. Custom brake lockers (an excellent anti-theft system for a couple of hours).

The paint is rough - he lived in the desert and while the dry air is not the best for rubber - nothing rusts. I sanded and painted the rusted areas last weekend wherever I saw them to deal with the rain at the coast. I will do a complete coat of primer this weekend and work towards a completed paint job (flat green with black highlights.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	162952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep2.jpg
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	162953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep3.jpg