Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wont start

603 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jhrebs 
#1 ·
Have YJ experience but helping a friend with their liberty. It's a 2004. It won't start. Turn the key and I have power to everything but no power on ignition wire to starter. I originally thought starter so I pulled it. But the starter works cause I tested it out. Checked power to wires that go to starter and turned key, no juice. I think I checked all fuses and relays. Im stumped

#2 ·
Ignition switch actuator is probably your issue. It's a piece of cheap pot metal that is very prone to breakage over time. The symptoms you describe fit it to a T and it's a very common problem with the KJ's.

Rock Auto has it for about $28 DORMAN 924704 Ignition Switch Actuator Pin.

If I remember right, you need a T15 to pull the plastic from the steering column, a T10 security bit to pull the lock cylinder and then you should be able to pull out the broken actuator. If you can help it, don't pull the ignition switch, if you have too, test the ignition before reassembling the column. It has been known to happen more with aftermarket ignition switches that the ey may be assembled slightly crooked and you need to oval out the mounting screw to get the switch in the correct position for reliable key operations. The factory switch should be OK but why take chances?

#3 ·
Yeah what cranbiz said^^^

But first check fuse 8 (40A) under the hood is good, swap over the Starter Relay with an identical one next to it, try start in Neutral instead of Park.

Then put it in Park or Neutral so you do not run yourself over...remove the Starter Relay and identify inside the Relay socket female pins 30 and 87. Then briefly jumper these pins 30 and 87 together inside the socket...engine should turn over and start and if Ignition is ON should run. This overides the ignition switch, actuator pin assembly, park and neutral interlocks.

If the Actuator Pin Assembly looks OK ie. no small pieces have broken off the tip....use a small flat screwdriver to turn the ignition switch....this tests if the ignition switch is bad!

Early KJs did not need a Security Male Torx bit to remove the Actuator assembly...not sure about the 2004 model but a Security Torx bit will work on either style!:)

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Well I reinstalled the starter. I checked every fuse. Looks like there are several that say something to do with ignition. I pulled and checked every one. They all tested good. Put everything and she started!! I'm guessing some corrosion or a fuse was loose or something. Thanks for the help. I will save this in case it happens again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.