WJ to KJ? Looking for input... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > WJ to KJ? Looking for input...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

WJ to KJ? Looking for input...

I've got an 04 WJ that I really really like. I am however wondering if it might "be time" to upgrade in the miles department. I've had few problems but the WJ is getting to the miles where piston skirt issues tend to pop up, and I figure window regulators are a lot cheaper to fix than piston skirts! I am not loaded by any means so a newer Grand does not look financially viable. I've found s few buys on KJ's though, I'm looking at a couple 2007 Limiteds right now. For whatever reason KK's don't do it for me and they are a lot more anyway being a newer model.

My mother has had an 05 KJ for about 6 years and has had virtually no trouble with it. I've driven it quite a bit and I like the "Jeepy" feel to it, sorta reminds me of my old XJ.

Did a search on here and the KJ seems to be a "love/hate" kinda thing, some have been great (like my mom's) and some have been very problematic.

Anyone here gone from a WJ to a KJ? I'd appreciate your thoughts or anyone with input comments welcome.

Thanks!

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
jeepjeepster

Not gone from a wj to a kj but I have a zj and a kj. The kj is a totally different jeep from the zj.

There isn't as much room in the kj as the zj, I can lean back and pretty much chill driving the zj. In the kj, if I lean back too far I cant reach the steering wheel like I want to so I feel like Im always in that upright position. I keep the steering wheel down pretty low so I can barely slide in and out. The transmission tunnel in the kj really kicks your right leg sideways, that's very annoying for me. Other than that, I really enjoy the kj. Engine has no low end torque like the 4.0, but it will go if you get the rpms up. Ride a little rougher than the zj/wj but its a good rough. Its nice and tight.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

KJs are great, wouldn't trade mine for a Grand Cherokee any year they've made them
Smoked many 4.0s off the line , plenty of power if geared right etc Its fun to play with Cherokees light to light
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Don't do it man! :-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
red2black00
2000 WJ 

My gf has a kj and i have driven it on and off road. Hers is an 05 renigade and I absolutely love it. It's not too tight on the inside for me and I'm 6'5". Although if I was gonna get rid of my wj for one it would have to be for the crd manual tranny combo kj. But just stock out of the box it performs very well off road. And I think they look great with a little work put into them!
red2black00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Not gone from a wj to a kj but I have a zj and a kj. The kj is a totally different jeep from the zj.

There isn't as much room in the kj as the zj, I can lean back and pretty much chill driving the zj. In the kj, if I lean back too far I cant reach the steering wheel like I want to so I feel like Im always in that upright position. I keep the steering wheel down pretty low so I can barely slide in and out. The transmission tunnel in the kj really kicks your right leg sideways, that's very annoying for me. Other than that, I really enjoy the kj. Engine has no low end torque like the 4.0, but it will go if you get the rpms up. Ride a little rougher than the zj/wj but its a good rough. Its nice and tight.
Great input thanks! I am really picky about driving position, now I don't remember if my mother's KJ annoyed me in that regard or not.
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Well, I went from a KJ to a WJ, then from a WJ to a ZJ and now back to a WJ (with a Crown Vic mixed in there somewhere...but I digress). Having said that I wouldn't hesitate to slip back into a KJ provided it was well maintained. I absolutely adored my 02 KJ. Never needed to touch the window regulators and it was a 5-speed (NV3550) which was totally the cats pajamas. Problem was the damn 3.7 blew up on me around 101,000 miles. I replaced it with a used engine and then that blew up. I replaced that with another used engine and I got rid of it while the getting was good. In retrospect, I should have just kept it. It was a cool rig. You'll find that KJ's have their own little quirks just like any model Jeep but down deep, they are still Jeeps. My KJ had a 3.7/NV3550/NP231J/Chrysler 8.25 w/ 3.73's. The guts were all Jeep. I'd put those parts up against a WJ any day of the week.

Like I said, if you can find a KJ that has been taken good care of and has the options you want, go for it - you'll love it. Obviously they aren't as roomy as the ZJ/WJ platform but I wouldn't say you'll be lacking for space. I may be in the minority but I feel like the KJ is a highly under rated vehicle. Hey they're all Jeeps so it's all good.

Here's some pics of my ol' girl. It had a 2.5" Frankenlift with Al's upper control arms, 245/75/16 MTR retreads and Cragar black steelies with factory Jeep center caps. Plus I made some awesome shackle tabs for the front out of hitch receivers. If you do get a KJ, check out that mod over on LOST KJ's. Man I miss that Jeep (tear)...

Unread 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Good input, nice KJ too. Thanks!

I'm torn, I've got no money and I do love the Dub... maybe it's spring fever.
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
Good input, nice KJ too. Thanks!

I'm torn, I've got no money and I do love the Dub... maybe it's spring fever.
Keep it.
brouwmat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

ill give you some wj input here (im trolling fixing my friends kj) but i have an 04 also, it was the best year by far for the wj, you have no PWM fan relay issues, you have the sexy front bumper and awesome one year only grille style, you got the only decent head ever put on 4.0 and most if the piston skirt issues ive seen are older motors, im at 176k on mine, all stock, havent even put lifters in it and its quiet as a sleeping kitten it has some oil leaks (valve cover, oil pan) that i need to fix, but thats just common 4.0 stuff.

i will give some love to the kj with a 3.7, its a good motor, my mom has a 3.7 in a wk and has about 200k on it, never had one single oil leak or any engine issues at all (only had a water pump let loose). ive driven a friends kj, was still chugging along at 240k with the 3.7, its just too cramped for my liking, and not as smooth for me, they are nice if your parallel parking, just because of the size, but definitely not as much room as a wj. i like my wj because, like yours, its got the old school bullet (almost) proof 4.0 and a good transmission to back it up. since you leave yours stock, just do your services and that thing should me good to go way over 200k.

like i said, i do like the liberty, i dont show any hate for it, personally id love to get my hands on a diesel liberty, but there hard to find and go for big money. if i were you id keep the grand, not sure if you have kids or not, but the grand has more room for stuff, and is more comfortable i think. i keep the oil changed about every 2500-3000 miles in mine, i use a factory mopar filter and full synthetic oil (a little extreme i know, but it can save an engine).

if you love the dub, keep it
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys for the input I can't bear to part with it I'm going to stand pat for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.