WJ or KJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > WJ or KJ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

View Poll Results: Which Jeep should I choose?
Keep the KJ 1 25.00%
Get the stock WJ 2 50.00%
JK 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

WJ or KJ?

I'm looking at switching to a different model jeep.

Anyway, I own an 05 KJ and recently I was trying to get up some opposite flex ramps and the lack of articulation brought on by the front sway bar kept me from getting up something simple even with LSD's in both axles. I think not being able to disconnect my sway bars really puts me at a disadvantage. I've put a fair amount into this car just to be bested by a friend in an 04 WJ with the same height lift and 32's.

Here's where it gets interesting, my dad has an identical WJ (even the same color and special edition) but stock. Should I trade my dad for his car and start fresh with a SFA? Mileage is a big concern but the overdrive gears should help because I do almost all highway driving during the week.

Comparison
05 KJ
3.7 gas 17-23 mpg
6-speed (I like manual but I don't like the lack of instant power)
4.10 gears and true tracs in the front and rear
3.5" lift with soon to be 32's
CIA, magnaflow
Rock lizard rock rails, full factory skids, tow hooks

04 WJ
4.7 gas ~15-20?
automatic, better for rock crawling?
factory skid plates and tow hooks
how I would want to set it up:
I would leave the gears alone but maybe do some lockers
Same exhaust work and armor
4-5" lift with 32" duratracs for mileage

One small option is for an older JK... but that would be difficult and it would be a sport. Is that better than my other two options?

So the final question is really, which car is better overall, considering I'll be driving about 140-175 miles per week (80% highway) and still want to be able to wheel and not get hung up with IFS.

Anyone have any advice or insight on this? Any comments are appreciated even if you're just agreeing that one car would be better.

some picture of the two cars (the grand would come stock)

comparison.jpg   where-my-jeep-takes-me.jpg  
kaleo333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Where all do you take it, or plan to take it?
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I take is all around Colorado springs and Denver but eventually want to go to Moab and I just think for rock crawling I can't keep the libby. I need more articulation up from and it can't be 6000 to lift 6 inches...this is too much roll for a simple curb
image.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
veiri86

2003 WJ 

I would vote for the WJ, besides the solid axle, it has lots of power and it is very comfortable commuter on the highway. (Personal Opinion)

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

That's what I think I'm going to do, has 200000+ miles but maybe an engine rebuild is in the works. I do need to try to maintain mileage....
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Remember, the 4.7L is the same basic engine as the 3.7L, so the cooling concerns, valve seat issues etc, apply here as well. A WJ IMO is a pretty decent vehicle, and was my first choice before my KJ. It has basically the same rear suspension as ours, with that balljoint that goes bad a lot. For the mild and moderate trails, the KJ should be able to do it, with a competent driver. TJKJ wheeled his as an IFS for a while before he did the SFA swap. The WJ can ride like a caddy if set up right as well. Not real crazy about the t-case options for them. Also remember the axles are not the strongest under them either. If Eagle rock, Saran Wrap, Chinaman's gulch etc are on your list, then the WJ, built up would be the best choice. If not, then its up to you. Those kind of miles, if the tranny has 100k or so on it, figure on a rebuild of it.
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I agree with the T-case options... I don't like the 4HI 4LO only, also hurts my mileage which is a concern. I am looking at those trails eventually as well. I'm aware that unfortunately I'll be looking at engine and tranny repairs.... I'm just sick of the body roll from the articulation deprived IFS (although mileage and manual are awesome)
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
veiri86

2003 WJ 

T case issue can be easily resolved. Search 242hd swap for WJ. which will give you the same options as your kj concerning the four wheel drive

Sent from ME

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I like the sound of that, would be able to anticipate better mileage since there is a 2WD option?
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Hmmm not really. But it will give you the choice of the 2wd. By the way, the all wheel drive is not literally all wheel drive, it will be driving rear wheel drive till one of your rear wheels starts to spin more than the other, then the all wheel drive will be engaged automatically. So the 4hi and 4lo is not that bad as you think

Sent from ME

Unread 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm actually aware of that I've just never been a fan of the slip based system although it has worked will before. I like the idea of the T-case starting in 4WD but the 4HI never seems to hold the car back
Unread 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
veiri86

2003 WJ 

I don't go for rock crawling. Mainly I go for dune bashing, and am really happy with the Quadra drive system

Sent from ME

Unread 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I guess if there's no mileage change it isn't really worth changing
Unread 04-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have heard it's not as stout as say a 241 like what mine has, and probably yours too since yours is of the same vintage as mine. I went with 3.73 gears on mine and did it myself, and came out about where I was before the bigger tires. I have heard yanking the rear swaybar out completely helps some, but we still are limited with the IFS. Chinaman's isn't really on my list, so it's not a big handicap to me right now. We're putting our money into another project at the moment, so a WJ or similar won't happen anytime soon here.
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

I guess I could remove a sway bar, but I don't think that's enough. And honestly, I'm not a fan of manual offroad when you have to balance the clutch for a slow controlled climb.

Tags
cherokee , grand , kj , liberty , wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.