Why you should do some jobs yourself - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Why you should do some jobs yourself

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
lloyd59hen

Why you should do some jobs yourself

My previous sparkplug changes were done at dealer. It was time to replace them, and since I am retired I have twice the time and half the money, I chose to change myself. But when I started removing the first plug, I knew I was in trouble, plug was very hard to break loose then as I was unscrewing, it was tight and squeaking as I turned. There was not a trace of antisieze on threads of any of the plugs. I was lucky in that all were removed wlthout damage. So the new ones went in fine with proper addition of antisieze, and hopefully will remove easier next time.
Lloyd Morris

lloyd59hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Antiseize should not be used on our plugs.They are required to be changed every 30k so no need and makes a mess of the threads which in turn can make removal very hard 2-3 plug changes down the road.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Jeepguy4276

Really, no anti-sieze? I've always used a thin amount when changing plugs on all the vehicles i've ever had. I haven't changed the ones in the liberty yet since i haven't had it long. I am going to in the next few weeks though. I would have automatically used anti-sieze. I didn't know it shouldn't be used on the liberty. Surprises me.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy4276 View Post
Really, no anti-sieze? I've always used a thin amount when changing plugs on all the vehicles i've ever had. I haven't changed the ones in the liberty yet since i haven't had it long. I am going to in the next few weeks though. I would have automatically used anti-sieze. I didn't know it shouldn't be used on the liberty. Surprises me.
Should never use antiseize on plugs or wheel studs.There is no mention of using antiseize in any FSM.I get to see the long term effects of antiseize on spark plugs and wheel studs everyday at work,just ends up costing the customer alot of $$$.Unless you 100% clean all the old antiseize off all threads(both male side and female side) don't ever use antiseize of spark plugs and wheel studs as it just gums up and cuases cross threading.
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Jeepguy4276

Good to know. Thanks.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy4276 View Post
Good to know. Thanks.
Just to be clear I am not against antiseize,just on those two areas is all.Use all you can on the suspension,more the tie rods and drag links.
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Jeepguy4276

So your not anti- antisieze? Got it. Lol. No more antisieze on plugs and lugs.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Should never use antiseize on plugs or wheel studs.There is no mention of using antiseize in any FSM.I get to see the long term effects of antiseize on spark plugs and wheel studs everyday at work,just ends up costing the customer alot of $$$.Unless you 100% clean all the old antiseize off all threads(both male side and female side) don't ever use antiseize of spark plugs and wheel studs as it just gums up and cuases cross threading.
Oh no.... I used antisieze on mine....
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
ppap
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the plugs are torqued to spec and changed at the recommended intervals, you wont have any issues with their removal. I use a dab of anti-seize on exhaust related components, not spark plugs.
ppap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

So what can i do about it cleaning up the female threads?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm worried if the OP'er used copper cores, if they didn't buy the Plugs ID'ed on the sticker. Said no mention of what plugs they used, and anything other than sticker model, or copper core isn't good either. I don't like anti sieze either, but that mostly because I don't want anyting getting in the cylinders other than gas.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
I'm worried if the OP'er used copper cores, if they didn't buy the Plugs ID'ed on the sticker. Said no mention of what plugs they used, and anything other than sticker model, or copper core isn't good either. I don't like anti sieze either, but that mostly because I don't want anyting getting in the cylinders other than gas.
Copper core plugs are the correct OE plugs for the 3.7 in a KJ.NGK coppers came from the factory but Champion coppers are much better and the OE plugs for the 4.7 which is the big bother of the 3.7 V6.

Using anything but copper core plugs in the 3.7 can result in lower power,poor mpg's,and misfiring issues not to mention lightening your wallet much more then buying the correct plugs and changing them on time.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

We sould really sticker thisfact. I know I asked this a few months ago when I first got my KJ. I'm having an odd case of Deja'vu right now.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
We sould really sticker thisfact. I know I asked this a few months ago when I first got my KJ. I'm having an odd case of Deja'vu right now.
Spark plug discussions is much like your girlfriends monthly cycle.
You know its coming, but you don't want it to since you already know how its going to end
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have used antiseize on plugs in the past a couple of times, but I don't anymore. Havn't used it on the KJ or the last couple of trucks I had.

I have been using the OEM NGK copper core plugs listed on the emissions sticker on the KJ and they have been changed several times (they are cheap and easy to change and it doesn't even take long to do). No problems.

(the e-3 plugs are crap......I tried them a long time ago on a trans-am and pulled them out and put in the factory gm spec ones).

Just my experience.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.