Why do my interior lights stay on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Why do my interior lights stay on?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
tpcollins

Why do my interior lights stay on?

On my wife's 2002 Liberty, the interior dome lights stay on continiously while driving. They stay on longer than normal when I shut the vehicle off but they do go out eventually. There is no door "button" but I took the driver side door panel off to see if the strain relief operated anything inside the door but there was nothing. I checked the one courtesy light fuse and it was ok, I'll probably go thru and check every one in the fuse panel in case the problem is linked with another operation.

If anyone has any ideas what's causing this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

Which light, front, mid, cargo? or is it all of them?

I only say this out of experience but if it is the same as the 05, the dome lights can be activated by pushing on them. I was carrying a full load and something must have pushed up on the dome light, I could not figure out why it was staying on until I looked closely. Then I said to myself "Duh!"

Hope it's as simple as that
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Renegade_Dragon
2002 KJ Liberty 

If yours is anything like mine, the switch on the left of the steering column could be worn a bit.

Occasionally my dome lights will stay on. When that happens, I just give the control switch a "Slight" turn back a little. Not enough to turn it a notch, but more like a hair. Just enough to get the dome lights to turn off.

This tells me that the switch may need replacement. But it's not enough of an inconvenience yet to be worth it.
Unread 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
tpcollins

Well duh . . . . thanks Renegade Dragon, it was the interior light rheostat switch on the turn signal lever.
tpcollins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Renegade_Dragon
2002 KJ Liberty 

No Problem

I should have remembered a simple term such as Rheostat Switch, but these days, my memory fails me more often than not. It's been a big bother for more close to two years now. Medications and back pain, plus I think part of it is shear boredom.
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Dragon View Post
No Problem

I should have remembered a simple term such as Rheostat Switch, but these days, my memory fails me more often than not. It's been a big bother for more close to two years now. Medications and back pain, plus I think part of it is shear boredom.
I can relate to memory, meds and back pain. It's hell getting old. I hope you get to feeling better.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
indynickh
2002 KJ Liberty 

I am new to jeeps, and the courtesy lights on my 2002 are just the opposite. My lights will only work, if I push them on. The Rheostat Switch does not turn the lights on. And I don’t see any door jam switches. Is that an option? If so, can they be added now?
indynickh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Benibiker
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indynickh View Post
I am new to jeeps, and the courtesy lights on my 2002 are just the opposite. My lights will only work, if I push them on. The Rheostat Switch does not turn the lights on. And I donít see any door jam switches. Is that an option? If so, can they be added now?
My 02 works as advertised... Strange that yours doesn't
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

There's a couple of possibilities for interior lights staying on that are both related to that switch.

One is that the switch is actually designed to turn the interior lights on. If you have the dimmer turned all the way up, i.e., one stop past maximum brightness, the interior lights come on by design. So if it's accidentally been rotated all the way up, the lights will stay on.

The other possibility, especially if they come on randomly or flicker on and off, is that the switch is bad. People often complain of flickering dashboard lights as well as the dome lights when this happens. It's a very common issue on the early KJs. As has been mentioned, simply turning the dimmer down a notch or two can sometimes make the problem go away. But it's a temporary fix. Gradually as the switch becomes more and more worn, that doesn't work anymore (guess how I know?). Eventually even your headlights can become involved and randomly switch on and off at night (again, guess how I know?)

If you want to permanently fix it, you have to replace the dimmer (or rheostat) switch, along with headlight stalk and the turn signal stalk on the other side together. They are all one part, called the Multifunction Switch. If you're even slightly mechanically inclined, you can replace it yourself in less than five minutes. All you need is a torx screwdriver to remove the two screws under the plastic shroud around the steering column. Dealers charge more than $100 for the part, but if you shop around online (Google "wholesale mopar parts") you can find it for less. Just be sure you get the right part for your model year: there's one with fog light controls and one without.

If anyone wants detailed instructions on how to replace the switch, just PM me.

Last edited by soulfinger; 10-01-2009 at 04:37 PM..
soulfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My Dome lights come on by themsleves sometimes when I drive. They stay on a bit and then shut off buy themselves.

If I turn the the lights on then off the dome light will go off right away.

Soulfinger I just sent you a PM
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
soulfinger
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufatbastehd View Post
My Dome lights come on by themsleves sometimes when I drive. They stay on a bit and then shut off buy themselves.

If I turn the the lights on then off the dome light will go off right away.

Soulfinger I just sent you a PM
That sounds like the multi-function switch. PMd you back.
soulfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
gilmourgirl79
2002 KJ Liberty 

hey all i'm having the same problem. switch is worn out, its been acting cagey for a few months and now the interior lights are stuck on (were rather, i disconnected them) do i need the whole assembly for the lights or just the switch part? i'm seeing it sold two ways...or can anyone recommend a reputable seller for me to purchase this part from?
gilmourgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Buy the whole assembly,takes like 10mins to install.
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #14
IgotJeep99

Does anyone know where to buy this multi-function switch.

I'm having this issue now on my 2002 KJ.
IgotJeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #15
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotJeep99 View Post
Does anyone know where to buy this multi-function switch.

I'm having this issue now on my 2002 KJ.

Make sure you buy the correct one for your model KJ....you get one type that caters for a KJ with front fog/driving lights and one model for the KJ without those lights. You will need a small male Torx driver to undo the two plastic covers surrounding the steering column then you simply pull off the existing switch assembly, undo the electrical connector and replace.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.