Why Diesel not available in NY?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Why Diesel not available in NY??

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
bkeast17

Why Diesel not available in NY??

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows why the new Diesel for the liberty will not be sold in NY? Is this because of emissions or something? Will I be able to buy it in another state and register it in NY? Thanks, Bill

bkeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
yikess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeast17
Hello, just wondering if anyone knows why the new Diesel for the liberty will not be sold in NY? Is this because of emissions or something? Will I be able to buy it in another state and register it in NY? Thanks, Bill

If i had to guess it is mostly due to emmisions...
yikess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
dan828

Most likely. That's why they don't have them here in California either. I think that there is a federal law that says a state may not refuse to register a used car that is legaly registered in another state, meaning if you can wait a while you can pick one up with 7500+ miles on it and the state can't do a thing about it.

As for buying out of state and bringing it in, I know that California won't let you do it when it's new except for certain explicit exceptions (to replace a stolen or totaled vehicle if it happens while you are out of state, for example).
dan828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 05:53 AM   #4
Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeast17
Until the USA designates the use of low sulfer diesel fuel throughout, there are certain state that will not allow the sale of the new breed of diesel powered vehicles. Mercedes just launched a new diesel automobile to the US market that has restrictions in CA, NY, VT. VW with their Toureg V-10 diesel is the same. Dodge Trucks with their new electronic Cummins was restricted from the CA market until recently.

For more interesting reading about alternative diesel fuels, look up: www.bio-diesel.org

ps...I hope to work out a trade in deal on our '03 Liberty LTD as soon as the '05 Liberty diesel is offered in this great country of ours!

FLAME!
Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 12:12 PM   #5
thuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
I think that there is a federal law that says a state may not refuse to register a used car that is legaly registered in another state
Yep, its called the constitution. Article 4, Section 1.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=white]White Jeep Club #12[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
thuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
JoeShmoXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

what any of you in new york would want to do is buy a pos used car, drive about 100 miles out of state (to somewhere where the diesel is sold) and have the car coincedentily break down right infront of a jeep dealership. you need a way to get home.. dont you? :P
44 Rear: Aussie/Crown Vic Disks/4.88's
JoeShmoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
dan828

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoXJ
what any of you in new york would want to do is buy a pos used car, drive about 100 miles out of state (to somewhere where the diesel is sold) and have the car coincedentily break down right infront of a jeep dealership. you need a way to get home.. dont you? :P
LOL...I'd thought about that out here....buy a beater for $400 and then have an unexplained oil leak cause the engine to sieze while I'm up in Reno . The only thing is that I'm not willing to bet that it would go all that smoothly with the DMV when it comes time to register the new car in California.
dan828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
brewcider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
LOL...I'd thought about that out here....buy a beater for $400 and then have an unexplained oil leak cause the engine to sieze while I'm up in Reno . The only thing is that I'm not willing to bet that it would go all that smoothly with the DMV when it comes time to register the new car in California.
That's what I was going to do. I was going to get a clunker that I'd drive, push, or pull to Vegas. I was also going to rent a UHaul car trailer to tow the clunker back to the DMV with my new diesel Liberty, just for extra proof that the clunker is beyond repair. Then I was going to drop it off at the junk yard.

That's what my original plan was, but it's easier to get my diesel Liberty under my Moms name out of state for the first 7500 miles.

BTW, did you know that starting today you can order the diesel Liberty's?
Unread 06-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #9
bkeast17

Alright thanks guys. I guess I can wait till they are out and buy a nice used one for cheap. Thanks again, Bill
bkeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.