White smoke from hood on Passenger side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > White smoke from hood on Passenger side

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
neoleo

White smoke from hood on Passenger side

Hi all,
I've been having white smoke and a bit of a "burning coolant" smell for several weeks on my 2003 Liberty with 63k miles. Yesterday, I was driving on the highway and had sudden overheating, loss of power steering and the battery check light came on - all indicators of a broken drive belt. Sure enough, I took it in and it was found that the serpentine belt had broken as a result of a a locked up water pump. So, after replacing the belt and the pump, the steering and temp returned to normal and the battery light was not longer illuminating since it was once again being charged by the alternator.

Here's the problem... when driving to work today, the white smoke appeared once again! It usually shows up on deceleration - either when parking or at a stop light. I have placed cardboard under the Jeep for several nights to see if it's a coolant leak that is spraying onto the hot engine, but the cardboard is bone dry every morning! Any ideas what could be causing this white smoke?

Other stats:
- A/C and heater function normally
- Vehicle runs smoothly
- All fluid levels check out
- Temperature gauge is always right in the middle

Thanks for any help!

neoleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Check your radiator cap for any cracks in the seal.

Could this be steam from running the ac and having it condense around the engine?

- just some things to check
kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Can almost guarantee the valve cover gasket on that side is leaking slightly. Oil drips down on the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter, burns and it is sucked into the fresh air intake at the base of the windshield. It will also tail up around the hood.

The repair is not terribly difficult though the passenger side is harder due to the heater hoses. And it's likely the driver's side gasket will go soon too so best to have both gaskets replaced.

Like I said, not a hard repair but a dealership quoted me $220 to replace the passenger side gasket on my '03 - made it easy to decide to do the repair on both sides myself.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
neoleo

Thanks, TwoBobsKJ... I've had that same hunch myself, and a couple of others that have looked at it have come to a similar conclusion. I think it's a pretty safe bet that it is a gasket leak - looking in there, there really nothing else that it could be.
neoleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
smell , smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.