Where is the thermostat? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

Where is the thermostat?

I was changing the oil and just checking things out in the engine bay yesterday. I followed the upper radiator hose to where it connects to the motor and was unable to find a removable water neck. The hose just connects to a large metal section on the front of the block. Where is the thermostat located at on this motor? I dont need to replace it, just wondering where it is for future reference.

2012 Wrangler Sahara 3.6/AT
2001 Dodge 2500 CTD/AT
1967 Mustang 5.8/4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 AM
jeeplibby1

This is for a 2002, but still a 3.7L. It looks as though it is actually where the lower hose connects to the engine block to the left of the pulley. Start on page 21.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3287046/Je...7-Cooling-3-7L
post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

Garage
towards the bottom on the passengers side, just look for a good sized hose coming off the motor and thats probably going to be it.

if you need to change the thermostat, they are a little bit of a pain and you need something under it to catch the fluid thats going to come out

post #4 of 7 Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

That kind of sucks. Thanks though, at least now I know.

2012 Wrangler Sahara 3.6/AT
2001 Dodge 2500 CTD/AT
1967 Mustang 5.8/4spd
post #5 of 7 Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Xjay98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Be very careful with the 2 housing bolts. If you're lucky you wont break any of them. Use BP blaster if they are hard to get out and take your time. The aluminum side of the housing loves to bond with the steel bolt. I had an easy radiator and T-stat change that went to hell.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2015, 01:15 PM
jeepchix

no heat

i have no heat in my jeep liberty 09, thought it was the heater core had it looked at guy said its not the heater core its either the water pump, the belt, or the thermostat. its not over heating so i don't think its the water pump. any ideas??
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2015, 04:33 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well you would have an alternator and power steering issue if it was the belt. You actually have a KK Liberty, and theres a sister section for that, however the same rules apply to whats wrong with yours, vs the KJ. First off, does the engine warm up to the middle of the gauge, where it normally runs? Does it maintain that temp on the highway, or idling, regardless? If yes, then your thermostat is likely not a factor. Even if it doesn't warm up all the way, it would still likely make heat. Heater cores are VERY often overlooked on the Libertys. Normally, if there is a difference in the temperature of the two hoses going to the heater core, it's probably plugged. That's likely what whoever did that said the heater core was ok. Problem is, I have seen the hoses have almost the exact same temp on Libertys, and the heater cores were plugged. I even argued for a few days with another technician on one he was trying to diagnose. He kept saying the customer had unrealistic expectations, and that its cold out(It was 30 degrees out, and the tech was from florida, whats that tell you?). It took him going for a ride in mine for him to understand how it should work. Chances are, yours is plugged. How many miles are on it? How many times has the coolant been changed? Was the correct coolant put in it(better not be green, if so, its wrong). Wrong coolant, not changing the coolant when supposed to, etc will cause them to plug up. To fix it, requires removing the dash, and sucking down the a/c system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.