Where is the AC Orifice tube located ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Where is the AC Orifice tube located ???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Where is the AC Orifice tube located ???

The AC in my 05 Liberty is not cooling well. Not blowing hot air, but not cold either. I checked the freon pressure (2 different gauges), reading about 35psi.

I've talked to a couple techs that suggest the Orifice tube may be blocked and needing replaced. They also suggested replacing the Accumulator/Dryer as well.

Q: Where is the Orifice tube located ??

Any AC repair pics or How-to articles on-line for our Libertys ?

Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

The only thing in the system that will plug up an orifice tube is material ejected from a compressor, from a mechanical failure inside it. Otherwise, its a closed system, and nothing is going to just plug it up like an airfilter. Was the low side 35psi, or the high side? Does the clutch engage when you start the engine and turn on the a/c? If you only have 35psi on the high side, I bet the a/c never turns on. Low on freon. If the lowside is running 35psi, with the system operating, compressor clutch spinning, then thats within the normal range. Some cars go as high as 40-45psi on the lowside while operating. Replacing the accumulator is suggested whenever you open up the system to service parts. It has an element in there to remove moisture from the freon. Once you get done replacing parts, you have to put the system under a vacuum, then charge it with the specified charge. Whatever you do, save yourself a headache, and dont buy the freon with the sealer in it. Causes more problems then it solves.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The orifice tube is in the high pressure line coming off the AC compressor,must replace the whole line as the orifice tube is not replaceable for a KJ.
Unread 07-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Was the low side 35psi, or the high side? Does the clutch engage when you start the engine and turn on the a/c?
Low side, compressor runs w/AC on. Running 35psi and warm air out the vents.

Unread 07-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Then its not a restriction in the orifice line. How cold is the low side line? If you can feel where the lines go into the firewall, either one of them cold? If not, take it to a shop and have an evacuation and recharge done, its likely down a bit on freon, and has some air that has migrated into the system. Doesnt take much to lose performance on the newer vehicles.
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Then its not a restriction in the orifice line. How cold is the low side line? If you can feel where the lines go into the firewall, either one of them cold?
It's cool, but definitely not cold.

I added 1 can last year. Bit cooler but still not cold. PSI went to 55. Too high and still not cold.

Unread 07-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Is the eFan engaging?
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Nope it wont. Old R12 systems, you could get by pumping a can of freon in, as it was pretty forgiving. R134A, forget it. These newer systems are intolerant to inexact charges, both over and under. Only way you are going to get it cold is to have the system sucked down, as in remove the freon into a recycler/reclaimer, evacuation(deep vacuum), then a recharge. If you dont, the air thats floating in your system right now is only doing damage, and the low charge will impede the flow of pag oil, the lube that keeps the compressor running. Hundred bucks or less will get it done right. Have them put dye in it, if there is a leak, can find it later.
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
Is the eFan engaging?
Yes it is.

I ended up putting another can of R-134a in it. It's much cooler, but still not cold (like I think it should be).
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

It probably wont until you do a full evacuation and recharge to the proper level. I see people every week come in, putting the R134 in their car, and amazed it doesnt blow cold. I hook up a machine to ID what is in the system, and find it 25% or more air. Then people get the stuff with the sealer in it. That stuff should be banned, as it does a fine job at plugging machines, and ruining a/c systems. If you really want your a/c cold, and dont wish to fry a compressor, take it to a competent shop so they can do a full vacuum on it, and charge the system.
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you really want your a/c cold, and dont wish to fry a compressor, take it to a competent shop so they can do a full vacuum on it, and charge the system.
10-4. That'll be next year.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.