Wheel Bearing Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Wheel Bearing Replacement

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
JeepLiberty06

Wheel Bearing Replacement

I need to replace my wheel bearings on my 06 Jeep Liberty, i have found that detroit axle sells them the cheapest, i wanted to know if it is simple straight forward or if i will require a hub puller? Im pretty sure torque specs should be 175, let me know how difficult this is going to be???

Thanks
Patrick

JeepLiberty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLiberty06 View Post
I need to replace my wheel bearings on my 06 Jeep Liberty, i have found that detroit axle sells them the cheapest, i wanted to know if it is simple straight forward or if i will require a hub puller? Im pretty sure torque specs should be 175, let me know how difficult this is going to be???

Thanks
Patrick
This will show how to remove the axle,and the bearings:

2003 Jeep Liberty Service Manual.pdf (pdf document) free file download at fliiby.com
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

This is something I just put up in another thread.Hope this helps:

These are easy to do.You need like tj said remove cover,turn the axle untill you see a small bolt holding a retainer.You will see the pinion shaft.That what the retainer is keeping in place.Unbolt the retainer,and carefully pound out the pinion shaft out of the diff.case.With the pinion shaft removed,push in the axles,remove the c-clips,remove axle.Remove seal then bearing.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
JeepLiberty06

Well mine was simpler than this?? Not sure why, i removed all brake components, took an impact to the axle nut which did not have a retained on it nor does it have a hole for a retainer??? interesting? took the three E-Torx bolts out of the back, size E-14 then i took the back of an axe and beat the wheel bearing out as it was slightly frozen in, got it all out and got the new ones in within matter of 20 minutes and everything back together. However i still have that same noise, whob... whob.... whob.. whob. whob. whob the faster i go?? Could my rear wheel bearings be bad? Maybe ball joints? Seems to only intensify when i make left hand turns, not when making right hand turns? Could tires need balanced possibly? I am lost as usually this problem is solved with wheel bearings? Please let me know any other suggestions, everything is to torq, axle nut 100 ft/lbs E-Torx i think also 100 ft/lbs cant remember now. This is driving me crazy.
JeepLiberty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLiberty06 View Post
Well mine was simpler than this?? Not sure why, i removed all brake components, took an impact to the axle nut which did not have a retained on it nor does it have a hole for a retainer??? interesting? took the three E-Torx bolts out of the back, size E-14 then i took the back of an axe and beat the wheel bearing out as it was slightly frozen in, got it all out and got the new ones in within matter of 20 minutes and everything back together. However i still have that same noise, whob... whob.... whob.. whob. whob. whob the faster i go?? Could my rear wheel bearings be bad? Maybe ball joints? Seems to only intensify when i make left hand turns, not when making right hand turns? Could tires need balanced possibly? I am lost as usually this problem is solved with wheel bearings? Please let me know any other suggestions, everything is to torq, axle nut 100 ft/lbs E-Torx i think also 100 ft/lbs cant remember now. This is driving me crazy.
The CV joints can be to blame,as is the passenger side shaft in the diff,the front driveshaft can be a issue also,and finally yes the rear axle bearings can be at fault also.
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
SabaII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Easiest thing to do is to swap tires side to side. Takes a few minutes and just gets rid of them as a possibility. Then as tjkj said any of the rest can be to blame.

And your lucky. I had a wheel bearing go out in my 02 Stratus and I have to press the cv out of the hub it was that seized. BTW dont ever buy a stratus.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Questions answered -

http://bradbb2005.dyndns.org:13000/F...ub-Bearing.pdf

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.