What's the story with fuel economy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What's the story with fuel economy?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

What's the story with fuel economy?

In the first 60 miles I've had the car, I'm getting an average of 12.5MPG. That's HEMI territory. I've never taken it over 4K RPM either. A few years ago, my dad had a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L V8 HEMI and he was getting 11 or 12MPG with that. Why would I be getting 12.5MPG with a brand new 2008 Liberty with a 3.7L V6?

Is something wrong or does this engine just suck gas like a commercial jet? I was hoping for at least 15 or 16MPG.

LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to owning a Liberty...that is it's dirty little secret...especially if you do a lot of stop and go driving. These are very heavy trucks and are about as aerodynamic as a brick. I'm sure it will break in a bit...and you will probably be looking at 14.5-15 mpg in the city.

Hey...I tried to warn you in your other thread....these things guzzle gas and Ford Hybrid may have been a better choice if you don't plan on going off-road.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHopeful View Post
In the first 60 miles I've had the car, I'm getting an average of 12.5MPG. That's HEMI territory. I've never taken it over 4K RPM either. A few years ago, my dad had a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L V8 HEMI and he was getting 11 or 12MPG with that. Why would I be getting 12.5MPG with a brand new 2008 Liberty with a 3.7L V6?

Is something wrong or does this engine just suck gas like a commercial jet? I was hoping for at least 15 or 16MPG.
I have just over 6k on my KK.My last tank was 17 mpg all city.I avg. between 16.5 to 17.5 depending on weather.I do run mid-grade.I tried regular and only got about 15.8,so switch back to mid-grade.You have a few more miles before break-in,then you should see higher MPGs.In 08 they bumped up the compression,on the 3.7,so thats why I think its better with mid-grade,plus it has more power.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
KJcrazy123
2007 KJ Liberty 

Well, considering the way that I drive, I average around 19 on the highway, and more or less 12.5 in the city. It is a really heavy SUV, and the fact that it doesn't have a more efficient engine makes it that much more unefficient. It is a pretty powerful engine, but it is not powerful enough to pull the weight of the vehicle, AND get great gas mileage.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][B]Jeep,[/B][/FONT] [FONT="Arial"]It is a[/FONT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][I]lifestlye,[/I][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT="Arial"]not a[/FONT] [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="5"][I][B]bodystyle.[/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
KJcrazy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

I have found the trick to be at the magic 2000 RPM... does not matter if I am pulling away or at travel speed I try...key is try to keep it below 2000RPM.

It works out well for me with where I drive..the HYW around here everyone drive 120 on the on ramps and 80 on the HWY so even if I do kick it down I am only going to get caught behind some idiot doing 60...I keep it at a 100 when I can but dont tramp it to get it there. My Mileage has been 22..23 which ro me is not bad.
PS thats KPH not MPH
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHopeful View Post

Am I reading your post right? You only got 12.5 on your first 60 miles. Get some miles on it. The PCM is pre set at the factory to a "default". It takes at least 50 cycles to reset to your driving style. (a cycle is start - drive and get to normal operating temp - shut off) or maybe 500 miles. Not sure about that and do not want to mis-lead you.

Your KK is NOT a car, it is a JEEP.

You are in LA and driving in the parking lot freeways there. I have driven there and the freeway is a big parking lot........ I hate traffic so I moved to a town that has 1,833 people in it. Still 1,800 to many. But at least my driving is almost all highway and no stop and go.

The things that affect gas mileage the most are:

1) driver (the biggest thing)
2) type of driving (traffic/or highway driving)
3) speed
4)vehicle condition (yours is new so no problem there)
5)tire pressure if it is too low(check yours even if the KK is new)

And a bunch of other things.

What does your window sticker say for mileage.? I am curious.

Remember, it's a Jeep, not an econobox or a sports car. It will take you places (and back too) that those other cars won't.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
tmaxx26power
2004 KJ Liberty 

My worst MPG is 14.38 and best at 18.89MPG. Beats my 2000 Durango that got 11-14.
tmaxx26power is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
KJcrazy123
2007 KJ Liberty 

Yeah, I think that the only time I got below 15 MPG was when I was doing a top speed run, and I hit 110, only then was I getting 10.6 MPG. I honestly don't know why the MPG is so low on your guys KJs.

Something to research. I will be back with answers
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][B]Jeep,[/B][/FONT] [FONT="Arial"]It is a[/FONT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][I]lifestlye,[/I][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT="Arial"]not a[/FONT] [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="5"][I][B]bodystyle.[/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
Unread 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Jakked

Just got back from a road trip not too long ago. Cruise set around 70-75, flat highways with moderate head/crosswinds. Tires properly inflated, etc.

Avg was between 19 and 20 mpg (calculated at the pump).
1986 Trooper 2.3L I-4 4x4 5-sp
Jakked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
jeepjeepster

I regularly get 12-13mpg if I drive pure city/short trips. Its a jeep.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
CHARLES NELSON

Sweet spot at 50m mph

I have about 26,000 miles on my Liberty. I live in a rural area and commute into a moderate sized city. I get about 15 mpg combined rural and city...but
I try not to 'jack-rabbit' start when I accelerate from a stop.
When I am on a rural highway with no stop and go...I get up to 22-23mpg
if I set the cruise control to 50. It drops into the hi-teens below 50 and
again about 16-18mpg in the 40-50 range. It can drop to 12-15mpg in
on-going city (30mph) travel. The worst is stop and go city...I average about 10-12 mpg!
My 30 foot RV with a V-10 and auto, gets 10 mpg in both city and
highway travel. Even tho' it weighs more than 5 times the Liberty!
CHARLES NELSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #12
bigguido

The key to MPG survival in the Liberty is to be easy with the throttle. I use cruise on the highway @ 65mph and around town I am easy on the throttle, trying not to rev more than I have to when I start moving. I routinely calculate my mileage at the pump (distance traveled/gallons used) and usually see a combined of about 19.5. On highway trips I have gotten in to the low 20's easily. Do not use the information center on the jeep to calculate your mileage, unless you reset it every tank. It is usually inaccurate to a certain percentage. That being said, my father and I both had Liberty's and he averaged about 14MPG all the time because he loved to get that Jeep moving. I have to admit it can be tempting to blow ricer boys in their civics away.
bigguido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
KJcrazy123
2007 KJ Liberty 

I agree with you, easy at the throttle, but honestly, if you want something that is fuel efficient then you should not be driving a Liberty. It is a Jeep, and a Jeep is HEAVY. Don't try to make it a fuel efficient vehicle. However that is not to say that you should floor it every chance you get... even though it is pretty fun. [:

Haha, in all seriousness, they are heavy-A$$ SUVs. Not I4 sedans that get 40+ mpg. Think about what you are buying before you buy your next vehicle. I will never own anything but a Jeep.
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

Well my mileage dropped almost 2 miles a gallon the last tank. Let me preface I live in Minnesota, it is cold outside, and my FAT *** likes a warm car. So my advice don't use the remote start on your Liberty and expect summer time mileage.

Dave
Dave_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
JasonDMX2

3.7 should be getting better mileage than that. Hope you have warranty - have them check it out.

If not you can have the exhaust gas analyzed at a shop and then complain to the dealer or jeep that your engine/control system is faulty causing you to use excess fuel.
JasonDMX2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.