Whats a good tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Whats a good tire?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
sboucher13
2005 KJ Liberty 

Whats a good tire?

I decided on purchasing the 16 inch by 7 cragar soft 8s. Now I just need help on the tires. Iv heard good things about duratracs and iv been considering those but I also have been thinking about a mud tire. I want something good in all conditions and something good for offroad and of course mud. However I don't want anything pricey like km2s. Any suggestions ?

sboucher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Duratracs are good in all conditions, snow, mud, overall everyday driving etc .
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmors on my Liberty and they seem to grab pretty well on almost every road condition that I have put them on. I guess it really all depends on what you plan on doing with your Liberty. Is it your daily driver or is it primarily for off-road use.
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
sboucher13
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWKHemi
I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmors on my Liberty and they seem to grab pretty well on almost every road condition that I have put them on. I guess it really all depends on what you plan on doing with your Liberty. Is it your daily driver or is it primarily for off-road use.
It's my daily driver but I also like to take it offloading. My boyfriend has a Cherokee on 33s so I'd like to somewhat keep up
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

Fair enough, the more aggressive tire the more "highway hum" you will get. Personally, the Duratracs are a very good option but I have been using the Wrangler Silentarmors on all my vehicles for the past 4 years and they have proven their worth to me. There are many other options out there as well. If you are not wanting to spend a lot of money, I've heard good things about the Cooper A/T3s. In any case, there are many options out there and your boyfriend should be able to point you in the right direction. If not, most any tire store will be able to help you out with a good set of tires that will suite your needs.

P.S. One thing to note the Silentarmors have a Kevlar layer built into the tire. I could not find if the Duratrac has the same feature.
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

I completely forgot to ask, is your Liberty lifted or are you going to be lifting it in the near future?
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWKHemi View Post
I too have been quite happy with the GY Silent Armor's on the diesel KJ. Be it -20F or 10" of fresh snow pack. Quiet going down the road.

A million times better than the factory's choice of tires.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have had the Bridgestone Revos, Michelin LTX, BFG Longtrail Radials, and now Mastercraft ATX. Revos were good on road and in snow, LTX wore like steel got 65k out of them good in the snow but noises on the road, stay away from the BFG LOng trails they sucked at everything. I really like the Mastercraft ATX I have now, moderate road noise, aggressive tread, great in snow and have a 60k tread warranty.

For offroad a MT can't be beat. I have BFG KMs on my YJ, but it is just a toy. If you are going to play in the mud you need a mud terrain, but be prepared to pay more for the tires, get lower MPG and have them war out faster. I ran Pro Comp MTs on my XJ and they were louder then the and the exhaust at 60 mph and only lasted 40k miles.

To give you a good recommendation we need to know your priorities for how you plan to use the KJ.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
sboucher13
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWKHemi
I completely forgot to ask, is your Liberty lifted or are you going to be lifting it in the near future?
I have a 3 inch rough country suspension lift
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
sboucher13
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksjeep
I have had the Bridgestone Revos, Michelin LTX, BFG Longtrail Radials, and now Mastercraft ATX. Revos were good on road and in snow, LTX wore like steel got 65k out of them good in the snow but noises on the road, stay away from the BFG LOng trails they sucked at everything. I really like the Mastercraft ATX I have now, moderate road noise, aggressive tread, great in snow and have a 60k tread warranty.

For offroad a MT can't be beat. I have BFG KMs on my YJ, but it is just a toy. If you are going to play in the mud you need a mud terrain, but be prepared to pay more for the tires, get lower MPG and have them war out faster. I ran Pro Comp MTs on my XJ and they were louder then the and the exhaust at 60 mph and only lasted 40k miles.

To give you a good recommendation we need to know your priorities for how you plan to use the KJ.
Well It's my daily driver and In awesome condition so I'm not trying to destroy it but I do like to have fun with it. I want something that is dependable for both on and off road. I'm obviously not going to go insane and put her through giant pools of mud but still enough to have a good time. An to be honest I love the Los noise of a mtr. Haha
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Almost 53,000 on a set of Duratracs, little hum going down the road and as long as you rotate them every 3-4000 miles they wear great
Have went through everything with mine and no issues
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
peter7675
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Overall very happy with my duratracs.. I have had 4 different tires on tjs and these are my favorite hands down
peter7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For a DD and a weekend wheeler, I would recommend an AT.

I know everyone seems to love their duratracs, and although I have never owned a set, I have a negative opinion of them. We have had several people in my Jeep club buy them and they do not do well in the Northeast. The tread voids tend to keep the mud it and they get little traction in wet conditions, and it seems like it rains 9 out of 10 trips we make. On a plus side, they get hot quick when slipping on rocks, but several other tires have good grip wet or dry in the rocks. Most trails we run require 33's or taller and several require a locker. I have never seen a KJ on the trails we run, and YJ,TJ,JK,XJ might just be too light for the duratracs. I don't want to start any fights, just passing on what I have seen.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
sboucher13
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksjeep
For a DD and a weekend wheeler, I would recommend an AT.

I know everyone seems to love their duratracs, and although I have never owned a set, I have a negative opinion of them. We have had several people in my Jeep club buy them and they do not do well in the Northeast. The tread voids tend to keep the mud it and they get little traction in wet conditions, and it seems like it rains 9 out of 10 trips we make. On a plus side, they get hot quick when slipping on rocks, but several other tires have good grip wet or dry in the rocks. Most trails we run require 33's or taller and several require a locker. I have never seen a KJ on the trails we run, and YJ,TJ,JK,XJ might just be too light for the duratracs. I don't want to start any fights, just passing on what I have seen.
That comments seemed more like you were bragging about your offroading group than helping with tires. I don't see how saying iv never seen a KJ run our tail and we require 33s helps ... Jus saying
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboucher13

That comments seemed more like you were bragging about your offroading group than helping with tires. I don't see how saying iv never seen a KJ run our tail and we require 33s helps ... Jus saying
My point is that although several people like the Goodyear Duratracs, I don't, and I list the pros and cons I have seen. My counter argument is that I might be wrong about the Duratracs since I have never seen them used on a Liberty in off road conditions that I consider moderate. I offered my opinion, and attempted to bound my response to the conditions that I would judge a tire. By offering the requirements for vehicles it hopefully gives the educated reader a frame of reference for my opinion. For example, I might say I don't care for a MIL spec tire on a Jeep since the tire does not flex in rocky terrain. Someone else may like a MIL spec tire on a Hummer in the sand because it provides good flotation. Without a frame of reference an opinion means little.

Does this help clarify my response?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.