What'd you do to your KJ today? - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What'd you do to your KJ today?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #346
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fantastic scenery. Some day I really need to get down to that neck of the woods.

Here, it's just well ~ flat.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #347
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

You should sometime. Its getting nice around here, and trails are slowly opening up. I really need to get some upgrades done, that I've babbled about for the past two years, and do some more serious trails.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #348
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
You should sometime. Its getting nice around here, and trails are slowly opening up. I really need to get some upgrades done, that I've babbled about for the past two years, and do some more serious trails.
Well hurry up,I'll take you on some fun trails.As is actual fun,challenging yes but very doable in a IFS KJ.
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #349
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yeah yeah, I know. I've seen your stock KJ, and I wouldnt want to leave it in the dust . Saving up for a trip back home to see the inlaws, though if I sold off some of my pmags and powder I could easily buy a lift kit and a locker,lol.
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #350
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Yeah yeah, I know. I've seen your stock KJ, and I wouldnt want to leave it in the dust . Saving up for a trip back home to see the inlaws, though if I sold off some of my pmags and powder I could easily buy a lift kit and a locker,lol.
Oh come on I wouldn't take you on any crazy trail.I like the medium trails that are fun,not the crazy trails that your most likely going to break on with 42" tires and D60's.Just need a lift,some good tires,tow points,skids,and rock rails(highly recommended,not required),you'd be amazed where you can go with that setup on a KJ.
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #351
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

Finally finished the brakes. Took three days... Why you ask?

Well, both lower slide pins on the front caliper brackets were totally seized as well as both bleeder screws being seized and stripped by the previous owner (thanks dick!). One slide pin and the bleed screws I eventually finagled out (although one of the bleed screws cost me a good craftsman socket) the lower drivers side slide pin never budged.
So a $20, 20 minute brake pad replacement turned into a three day, $100+ ordeal involving;
Four parts stores (a great big F U to the guys at Advance and great big thank you to the guys at O'Riley's, Autozone, and NAPA), a set of pads, a caliper bracket, a slide pin kit, a brake hardware kit, a slide pin boot kit, a set of speed bleeders, two cans of brake parts cleaner, two cans of PB Blaster, a can of disc brake quiet, three packets of brake grease, three bottles of brake fluid, a broken drop light (my fault), two pairs of ruined jeans, a box of gloves, a stripped lug nut (my fault), an A/C recharge, and an oil change.
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #352
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklanier84 View Post
Finally finished the brakes. Took three days... Why you ask?

Well, both lower slide pins on the front caliper brackets were totally seized as well as both bleeder screws being seized and stripped by the previous owner (thanks dick!). One slide pin and the bleed screws I eventually finagled out (although one of the bleed screws cost me a good craftsman socket) the lower drivers side slide pin never budged.
So a $20, 20 minute brake pad replacement turned into a three day, $100+ ordeal involving;
Four parts stores (a great big F U to the guys at Advance and great big thank you to the guys at O'Riley's, Autozone, and NAPA), a set of pads, a caliper bracket, a slide pin kit, a brake hardware kit, a slide pin boot kit, a set of speed bleeders, two cans of brake parts cleaner, two cans of PB Blaster, a can of disc brake quiet, three packets of brake grease, three bottles of brake fluid, a broken drop light (my fault), two pairs of ruined jeans, a box of gloves, a stripped lug nut (my fault), an A/C recharge, and an oil change.
Wowee that's a mouthful. Glad you finished under $200
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #353
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Oh come on I wouldn't take you on any crazy trail.I like the medium trails that are fun,not the crazy trails that your most likely going to break on with 42" tires and D60's.Just need a lift,some good tires,tow points,skids,and rock rails(highly recommended,not required),you'd be amazed where you can go with that setup on a KJ.
Well, I have the mopar metal skids, I know they aren't the ballistic armor, but they gave me some protection on Mosquito. I have a class III in back to hook to, just need to add some hooks up front. Lift and tires are wanted but sadly will be waiting a tad longer, ugh. Will see if they turn business around at work and I start rolling in hours consistantly again. Rails would let me sleep better at night, no doubt.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #354
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Well, I have the mopar metal skids, I know they aren't the ballistic armor, but they gave me some protection on Mosquito. I have a class III in back to hook to, just need to add some hooks up front. Lift and tires are wanted but sadly will be waiting a tad longer, ugh. Will see if they turn business around at work and I start rolling in hours consistantly again. Rails would let me sleep better at night, no doubt.
You guy's a little slow to I take it? It's been hit or miss here also,been a real roller coaster for hours like last week got 83 this week I'll be lucky to break 60.
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #355
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
You guy's a little slow to I take it? It's been hit or miss here also,been a real roller coaster for hours like last week got 83 this week I'll be lucky to break 60.
Holy crap 83 hours in one week? Thats over double-overtime
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #356
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Naaw, its flag hours, not time clock hours. I ran 80 for a long time or close to it until this winter when an undercover sting popped one of our shops, then it dropped by nearly 30hrs. I'll be around 85hrs or so this time, but I had a nice lexus engine job on it. We got one of the managers from your company here, heard you guys are on the yo-yo too. Sucks the big one.
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #357
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Naaw, its flag hours, not time clock hours. I ran 80 for a long time or close to it until this winter when an undercover sting popped one of our shops, then it dropped by nearly 30hrs. I'll be around 85hrs or so this time, but I had a nice lexus engine job on it. We got one of the managers from your company here, heard you guys are on the yo-yo too. Sucks the big one.
So what's the difference between flag hours and on the clock hours? The amount of time it takes to finish a set amount of jobs?
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #358
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueKJ View Post
So what's the difference between flag hours and on the clock hours? The amount of time it takes to finish a set amount of jobs?
Each job has a set labor time,so we get paid by the job.The idea is to get good enough and buy the special tools to beat that labor time and make money instead of breaking even.I actually am at work for 47-48 clock hours but I ussually get paid for 70-80 hours.

Now you may think that it's unfair to the customer if they are getting charged 2 hours for what I can do in 1 hour but training and alot of expensive tools are required to achieve that.Plus it's a set labor time so that 2 hour job still is a 2 hour job regardless if your in CA or and small down in the midwest,just the local labor rate is the only difference.
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #359
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Each job has a set labor time,so we get paid by the job.The idea is to get good enough and buy the special tools to beat that labor time and make money instead of breaking even.I actually am at work for 47-48 clock hours but I ussually get paid for 70-80 hours.

Now you may think that it's unfair to the customer if they are getting charged 2 hours for what I can do in 1 hour but training and alot of expensive tools are required to achieve that.Plus it's a set labor time so that 2 hour job still is a 2 hour job regardless if your in CA or and small down in the midwest,just the local labor rate is the only difference.
Ohh I gotcha. And yea I understand that you have to be able to pay for your tools somehow
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #360
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well if nothing else, if we ever get some rain in this town again, you'll have to make a lap in the mud behind the shop. It got good and sloppy last year after those two days of heavy rain. We had about a couple feet of hail piled up in the alley behind us at one point. You should be able to really sling it with those tires.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.