What would cause a 3.7 to drink oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What would cause a 3.7 to drink oil?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What would cause a 3.7 to drink oil?

I'm down a quart in 600 miles. This is a 3.7 with 120,000 miles, no visible smoke on start up, no visible leaks. Does have engine codes p0442 which I think is unrelated.

My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

P0442, evap system fault(leak detected IIRC). How long since your last oil change, what brand and weight of oil do you use, and have you been underneath it to inspect for signs of leaks, even though they may not drip onto the ground? Also, how often do you change your oil, etc? Lots of guesses could be made, and will be made, but if you can provide a little history of the vehicle, it will be easier to narrow it down to the real cause.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

My 2005 KJ with 116,000 miles uses a lot of oil, too. There's no sign of it being burned; no smoke from the tailpipe, and when I pulled the spark plugs they all looked normal. I do have the infamous oil pan gasket leak though; the area around the bottom of the engine is always wet,but it never really drips onto the ground because of the skid plate. The fact that replacing the gasket is a royal PITA on the KJ means that I'd rather just keep topping up the oil as needed.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Changed the oil 600 miles ago with 5-30. I don't have any records as I just bought the it. If it a leaked a quart to 600 miles I would think it would leave the underside coated or even the back glass speckled.
My Jeep
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

It should at that rate. May be burning it. You can't monitor your tailpipe all the time while you drive, your vehicle can burn oil and you just do not see it. Could have stuck or gummed up oil control rings due to mileage. Engine flush would help with that followed by an oil treatment. You also may want to look at your pcv valve, as it can stop blocking oil and allow your intake to suck vast quantities in. It's on the oil filler neck.
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put in a pvc last night, so going to keep track and see if it makes a difference. I also started it up in an enclosed garage, revved it up several times and didn't see one bit of smoke.
My Jeep
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
grenade187
2002 KJ Liberty 

Let us know if it made a difference!
grenade187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Revving the engine in a garage isn't a test that your engine isn't burning oil. It just means you didn't see smoke. Remember Star Trek, when you rule out all known possibilities, whatever left, no matter how improbable must be probable. If you aren't leaking oil, and its disappearing from the crankcase, aside from aliens coming down to earth and using a transporter to beam out your oil, its going out the tailpipe. You lack the oil cooler interface with engine coolant, so that rules that out.
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To me no smoke on startup rule out valve seals.. Your probably right on Rev up specially since the oil was cold when I did it.
My Jeep
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

You may be safe with saying no on valve seals, but you have oil rings, which is where I suspect your problem lies. Ford had plenty of issues with this, and partly why they started recommending their motorcraft spec'd 5-20 for a number of engines prior to 2001 to fix issues. Key word is the oil that meets motorcraft specs. You'll see it on synthetic bottles, not dino.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.