What weight oil ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What weight oil ?

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Bmach

I fold mine and keep it in the bag with my owners manual leaving the glove for what ever else I keep there.

Bmach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

I changed my oil for the first time myself today. I usually bring it to the family mechanic but now I don't feel the need. It has been roughly 3500 miles since my last oil change. I checked the dipstick before starting and it was well below the 'A' in ADD. I would presume somewhere around 2 quarts was still remaining judging by what came out when I drained it. I do not leak oil. I have never noticed any spots under the jeep. It's hard for me to say whether or not I burn it through the exhaust because I'm never behind the jeep while it's driving. Any ideas? Occasionally the oil pressure light will come on for about 2 seconds and then turn back off. I'll start checking my oil level much more often.

Some background on the Jeep. It's a 2002 3.7L Sport. OME lift with 3/8" clevis and 1/4" top plate, 2 extra upper rear iso's. 245/75 Goodyear MTR. 3.73 gears. ARB bumper and winch only on maybe 500 miles. The rest of the goodies have been on for about 5000. I average 12.5 mpg 85% city driving.
02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You need to be checking the oil at least every 400-500 miles or so. Being even a quart low could cause long term damage 2 quarts plus, you're lucky you caught it when you did.
I check mine weekly if only driving local, any trip over 50 miles gets checked before, during, when there and when back home . Mine has over 187,000 and maybe loses less than 1/4 of a quart in 3500-4000 miles now.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do you have any ideas as to why it was so low?
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

If you have no leaks, and it was filled at the last oil change, there is only one place for it to go, out the tail pipe. Oil consumption can be caused from oil breakdown due to extended change intervals, as well as internal leaks. The two main areas to leak are the valve stem seals in the heads, and around the pistons due to problems with the oil control rings. If sludge deposits start to accumulate, they can cause the oil rings to stop sealing, and you'll burn oil. No, you will not always see blue smoke, only if its really bad. There are things you can do to correct that, if that is the case. Use of an engine flush chemical or even 1qt of ATF, and run it for 30 min, will help clean the engine. You'll need to change the oil and filter as soon as you shut it off, to get as much of the gunk out. Change the oil again, with the suggestion of synthetic 5w20 and run it for 3k miles and then change it as normal after that.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02libbyfirstcar View Post
I changed my oil for the first time myself today. I usually bring it to the family mechanic but now I don't feel the need. It has been roughly 3500 miles since my last oil change. I checked the dipstick before starting and it was well below the 'A' in ADD. I would presume somewhere around 2 quarts was still remaining judging by what came out when I drained it. I do not leak oil. I have never noticed any spots under the jeep. It's hard for me to say whether or not I burn it through the exhaust because I'm never behind the jeep while it's driving. Any ideas? Occasionally the oil pressure light will come on for about 2 seconds and then turn back off. I'll start checking my oil level much more often.

Some background on the Jeep. It's a 2002 3.7L Sport. OME lift with 3/8" clevis and 1/4" top plate, 2 extra upper rear iso's. 245/75 Goodyear MTR. 3.73 gears. ARB bumper and winch only on maybe 500 miles. The rest of the goodies have been on for about 5000. I average 12.5 mpg 85% city driving.
Quote:
Do you have any ideas as to why it was so low?
A bad or worn PCV valve can cause oil consumption also,$5 at napa and takes seconds to change.By the owners manual you are supposed to check the oil level everytime you put gas in it.Just keep checking your oil and using only 5w-30(do not use 5w-20) oil and change it more often,like every 3k.
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

alright cool i'll get the PCV valve tomorrow and see if that helps.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Forgot the pcv valve, that's the one other place that's likely causing issues. I only recommend the 5w20 synthetic for a single oil change, strictly for a treatment, and not for long term use.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

just tried replacing the PCV valve. i've never done this before and couldnt figure out how to get it off. i was looking at the new one and it seems like you just pull it off but i dont want to break anything. is there any trick on doing this? it's raining again so i'll probably hit it in the morning.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
just tried replacing the PCV valve. i've never done this before and couldnt figure out how to get it off. i was looking at the new one and it seems like you just pull it off but i dont want to break anything. is there any trick on doing this? it's raining again so i'll probably hit it in the morning.
Push in and turn,if you never have changed it you may break the old PCV valve.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I bought my wife's KJ at 71000 miles and it had never been changed. It broke coming off but no biggee. You have to do a 1/4 turn and wiggle out.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

I have my users manual and the original denim carry case it came in stuffed in the drivers door pocket because the slot in the GB is not big enough to hold it. I like to keep a spare tire gauge, maybe some sun glasses, a pen or pencil, some paper to write on in the GB along with registration and insurance. The registration card is tiny but the insurance card is about 3X5 and it is too big to stuff in there without folding it. I know I have the arm rest too, but I like to keep napkins, another tire gauge (can you ever really have too many tire gauges?) and some various other goodies in that. I keep my air down plugs in a small case tucked into the space between the 4wd shifter and the regular shifter console. The back storage bin currently holds a haynes manual. All of my beach gear sits packed neatly in the back but its a PITA when I have to go get something big that I need to empty the back of the Jeep to make room (picked up a lawn mower the other day). I was just saying that it is storage space challenged is all. No way a deal breaker as I would not have bought it if it was.
jedi105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.