What module controls Elec. Stability Program - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What module controls Elec. Stability Program

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

What module controls Elec. Stability Program

Hi,
I've posted a few times in regards to numerous problems with ESP/BAC lights and ABS lights on my 06 Liberty Renegade 4x4. My transmission has been shifting poorly also...two valve bodies and solenoid packs have been put in since I bought it new. On Friday software downloads were done for the PCM and BCM, there was no transmission software available. After multiple shops and multiple visits I decided today on my route to do a little experimenting after thinking about this more.
After shutting the ESP off, what I thought was a shudder in my transmission disappeared. Isn't it that this program constantly monitors driving and if it senses a problem it lowers power to the engine until the "erratic" driving is corrected? So I'm wondering after all this time if its not been a transmission problem as much as this program. What module controls this? In another post it was suggested to me to replace the ABS module as codes have been thrown at times for the wheel speed sensors both front and back and of course because of all the issues. To me this makes sense but I suggested that to the serv. dept but they still haven't agreed with that diagnosis. They have ordered one rear wheel speed sensor, the front right has already been replaced. So am just wondering which module controls these things? If speed sensors could be bad and creating all this havoc or if it might be above that in a module.... and if so which one? I guess the cheap fix would be to run with the system shut off but I know that's not recommended.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It's going to be back in the shop soon to begin the search again. Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited by ruralroute01; 09-11-2007 at 10:06 PM..
ruralroute01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
THe ABS module control the ESP.
Hope this helps you,
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Merlin, I will push for it to be replaced. So is fixing the speed sensors just a superficial fix and not getting to the real issue? Or since the sensors are throwing codes, they should be replaced too? I suppose Chrysler wants them to try the easiest or cheapest fix first but it sure has been frustrating. I thank you again for all your help...sorry for all the questions. I have it of course set up to do my job and otherwise I do like the vehicle. The absolute last resort is trading it so maybe if I can get this issue fixed it will last awhile for me.

Last edited by ruralroute01; 08-28-2007 at 03:48 PM..
ruralroute01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
If you get a code for the wheel speed sensor it is more likely going to be the sensor at fault and hard to diagnosis if that fault is intermittent. If you get the same code back again it’s unlikely to be another faulty sensor (but not impossible). It is more likely to be the wiring to the sensor from the module or the module itself especially if that is the only code you are getting.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Dodge,Jeep Tech

the ESP module controls the ESP not the ABS controller.Its under the center console.
Dodge,Jeep Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
There is a Yaw and Lateral Acceleration sensor under the centre consol that sends stability info to the ABS module as does the steering angle sensor.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks a bunch Merlin,
I'll pass on your suggestions and maybe just maybe it won't have to stay in the shop for a month! Take care.
Unread 08-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi,
I'm trying to make sure I am gathering all this right. The ESP module and ABS module needs to be checked as does the connections to both the modules and the Yaw and Lateral Acceleration sensor? They plan to replace one of the rear wheel speed sensors due to the codes at my next visit. Of course I don't think this is going to be the cure all....so I have to have my information accurate on these other items so they spend a little more time on it. I've heard before "you are all ready to go" and a few miles down the road the lights are back on. I know they can't always duplicate the symptoms and know it frustrates everyone. I'm going to have to be the best advocate in getting it fixed. I just pray Chrysler will stand behind some of this since I've had these issues since I bought the thing but I'm already at almost 50xxx.
So basically these are two totally separate issues (ESP and ABS) or do you feel one feeds the other? With winter approaching and the way the brakes sometime act..I worry about my safety when the ESP system suddenly decides to brake when I don't ask it to! Sorry I'm a novice will all this but am trying...who knew to carry mail being a mechanic would have been a great asset with the vehicles these days! I still favor my old Cherokee as do most of the mechanics I know!
Unread 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
merlinTec

Hi
There is NO ESP module so no separate issue. I can only assume Dodge,Jeep Tech got confused with the Yaw and Lateral Acceleration sensor that are under the centre consol. Any ESP fault you have to get the codes from the ABS module, even the ESP off switch is hard wired to pin 4 of the ABS module and nothing else.
Will all depend on the codes you are getting and IF you are still getting the same codes after the sensor for that code has been replaced. If so then yes should start thinking about other possibilities that would create that fault code (wiring / module).
Any more info you need please ask, can’t wait till you get to the bottom of this.
Hope this helps you.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks again, you are great to spend the time trying to help each of us. I can't wait to get to the bottom of this either. I am thankful to speak with someone who sees more Libertys. In my area the dealerships just don't see the volume. I will post what gets figured out...my appt is now on the 10th.
On a totally different note I'm having an issue with the idle and/or tension pulleys starting to make noise (when AC is on and putting strain on them) so always something! But the local shop guys will do that work. I'll probably just have both of those replaced and the belt, sounds like they are notorious for going bad. I guess it's just money...ugh...but I know if the bearings go out..it would create much more grief than I care to have out there....so hate to wait to long! Have you seen any issues with those messing up before 50xxx? Just curious.
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
merlinTec

Hi
That ones easy. Belt has a TSB and a modified belt can be fitted.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-31-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Something easy awesome! lol I'll call the dealership this morn, but was told not to long ago that TSBs aren't covered by Chrysler so may have to have local guys replace next week as waiting til my appt at the dealership for the other stuff kinda concerns me. Not big on break downs! Thanks
Unread 09-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi well the Liberty was in the shop today and I was told tonight..we think we have it fixed. lol One wheel speed sensor on the rear was replaced but they are saying the signals are not registering right. (I'm not exactly sure what that means but open to your thoughts). They said the ABS module was working correctly and does not need replaced (but if the sensors are not registering right...does that info go to the ABS module).

They spoke with Chrysler and were told there have been some issues with two wires..I assume they mean to the ABS module. They cleaned them and reconnected. Drove it for 10 miles and no lights came on...so far. I'm more than hesistant to go pick it up for fear it's truly not fixed. This makes the 4th time it's been in the shop at this dealership. I am beginning to hate the phrase.."we have it fixed" since I've heard that at three dealerships thus far! I asked them to check the Yaw and Lateral Acceleration Sensor. I assume they did and found it ok. The service manager was relaying all this to me tonight and wants me to call the tech tomorrow to go over everything and see if they want to keep it for a little longer.

I just really don't believe loose wires were the culprit after almost two years of this!
Unread 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
170bcuda
2006 KJ Liberty 

I've noticed a number of folks having problems with this system and not only with libertys. After my week long goat rope at the dealership, it seems to me that chrysler does not have their act together in the form of TSB's or xtels on this system.
And, that following a logic tree and playing swaptronics is the sop, with the hope of fixing the problem.
The way I see it is dealerships are only as good as their diagnostic interpretation and repair capabilities. Thats the price we pay for modern technology. ........................170bcuda
'11 Toyota Tundra SR5, '06 Liberty

Last edited by 170bcuda; 09-10-2007 at 07:56 PM..
170bcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Update

Well I went to pick up the Liberty since you know it's "fixed", they replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor and worked on the connections to that speed sensor and ABS module. I was trying to think positive but feeling all along that it would be a long shot for a bad connection to cause all this. I feel bad for the mechanic, he's a great guy and really is trying. But needless to say the lights came on as soon as I started it in the parking lot!!! But at least this time I was smart enough to keep my friend and her truck nearby so I could catch a ride back home.

We test drove it with the scanner in place. It is still throwing codes ABS C102B, C103B and TCM PO218 and P1775. So now he is thinking the ABS module which is what I've asked for all along after all the research I've done! I know Chrysler makes them check every easy avenue first but in the long run wouldn't it save time, money and sanity if they would just let dealerships know they have experienced problems with certain parts and not make them go through all the motions of resetting codes and sending people on their way. Of course they will return!!!! So anyway they kept the Jeep and I'm hopeful will be ordering the module in the morning. Chrysler has still yet to say they will cover any of this but I do have it documented that from pretty much the beginning I was having problems with the ABS and ESP/BAC lights.

The ABS C102B code is the one that I need more info. on if anyone has any ideas. I know it involves the circuit. The brake manufacturer Chrysler sent them to talk to said there is no chance its the ABS module and to check the wiring instead(something Chrysler installed)..but obviously that was not the fix either. Seems it's a blame game. Thanks...I think I may have to have a beer! lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.