Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What lift? How's it ride?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jeepjeepster 
#1 ·
So as soon as my truck sells it's KJ project time. I've been running searches on the lifts out there, and I'm curious as to the pro's and con's of them as there's quiet a few. What lift would be best to go with if you don't want to blow a ton of money, but still have a safe, nice looking, nice riding lift? Links, total pricing, etc would be super helpful!

If I went with something like the Rusty's 2.5 budget lift, should I get different shocks? This will be a show jeep, I won't be using it for off roading, just want to have something nice looking. I'll be using it to get to the ski resorts and mountain bike trails, but I don't need anything to go crawling rocks with.

Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Any kind of spacer lift will ride alittle rougher than an all out spring lift. Many people go with the daystar spacer lift and love it. I would get new front struts, but the rear isnt reall needed if you do not want more flex.. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
jeepjeepster said:
Any kind of spacer lift will ride alittle rougher than an all out spring lift. Many people go with the daystar spacer lift and love it. I would get new front struts, but the rear isnt reall needed if you do not want more flex.. :thumbsup:
What would be an example of a spring lift?

http://www.roughcountry.com/Jeep_KJ.htm??

I've heard that you want to keep the lift at the 2.5" height for some reason vs. higher, can't remember why though?

#4 ·
The higher you go the steeper the control arm angle, steeper the control arm angle the rougher the ride. Probably above 2.5"s you need to get new control arms, I'm not sure for the KJ's but generally thats how it works.

If you're not wheeling, the 2.5" BB would be the best thing for you, simple installation and it will not affect your stock ride too badly, it will probably reatain around 90% of the stock ride.

Usually the reason you would get coils is for better flex, keeping the stock coils and just putting the blocks on top will keep it closest to the stock feel while lifting it...

I would recomend to get new shocks...

#5 ·
With a spacer lift I would just replace the rear shocks for longer ones to keep a closer to stock ride as the stock shocks will be closer to the end of there travel range. The lifts that go over 2.5" will require relocating the front diff and control arm mounting points or using a longer steering knuckle to keep the ball joint angle in there working range.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm just doing this for pure aesthetics. As with my chevy, I can't stand the new vehicles and how they slope downward with the back end up in the air like a girl in doggy style position:D Plus with the new wheels and tires, painted black fender/bumper trim, tint, and system it will be more like a man's jeep rather than a soccer mom "cute" commuter. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
nierace said:
If you're not wheeling, the 2.5" BB would be the best thing for you, simple installation and it will not affect your stock ride too badly, it will probably reatain around 90% of the stock ride.

I would recomend to get new shocks...
Without having any special tools, would this be do-able to put on myself?:confused:

what are some good shocks to go with for a plush feeling road ride? At the moment, it will see only highway around town type driving, with some occasional dirt roads to get to the trailhead for mountain biking.

#8 ·
keep away from the rough country lift if you like your ball joints and struts , the same goes for the budget boost

for a full write up on lifts go to www.lostkjs.com from all reports the daystar at 2 1/2" the rro combo lift at 2 25 and the revtek 2" spacer lidts are the go, best bang for your buck spring lift is the rustys and you get new struts and shocks as well

#9 ·
Fouros said:
keep away from the rough country lift if you like your ball joints and struts , the same goes for the budget boost

for a full write up on lifts go to www.lostkjs.com from all reports the daystar at 2 1/2" the rro combo lift at 2 25 and the revtek 2" spacer lidts are the go, best bang for your buck spring lift is the rustys and you get new struts and shocks as well
Well said. Rough Country, RRO' OTT lift and Rusty's Spacer lift all use only a spacer outside the front strut assembly for lift. This causes problems with struts and ball joints.

RRO's combo lift which is similar to revteck look good. Also the daystar spacer works well. Also check out Rusty's spring lift (www.rustysoffroad.com) good kit for the price. All new springs plus new shock and struts.

#10 ·
Umm...the last couple of posts contridict, is the rusty's spacer lift good, or something to avoid?

What do you guys think it would cost to get a spacer lift kit installed? Who could do this type of work and what would be a reasonable assumption for install cost? Without kit cost.

Thanks for the info, :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Fouros said:

I followed your link but couldn't find anything on suspension reviews...:confused:

#12 ·
LIBAR8R said:
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm just doing this for pure aesthetics. As with my chevy, I can't stand the new vehicles and how they slope downward with the back end up in the air like a girl in doggy style position:D Plus with the new wheels and tires, painted black fender/bumper trim, tint, and system it will be more like a man's jeep rather than a soccer mom "cute" commuter. :thumbsup:
To each his own.
I like the raised backend position. That was the look we are tried to obtain back in the day. Probably adds some mpg with less wind resistance. I think it just looks bad azz. I dought any KJ owner would call their Libby a "cute" car. Sounds like a Wrangler comment that is a bit too insecure with his manhood. Not that you are, it's just too easy to get caught up in the limaric.

#13 ·
BVCRD said:
To each his own.
I like the raised backend position. That was the look we are tried to obtain back in the day. Probably adds some mpg with less wind resistance. I think it just looks bad azz. I dought any KJ owner would call their Libby a "cute" car. Sounds like a Wrangler comment that is a bit too insecure with his manhood. Not that you are, it's just too easy to get caught up in the limaric.
I agree, to each their own. But it still looks like a chic flaunting her @ss in the air :rofl: :laugh: :wavey:

#14 ·
LIBAR8R said:
I agree, to each their own. But it still looks like a chic flaunting her @ss in the air :rofl: :laugh: :wavey:
To me, it looks like those pull trucks you see at the county fair. They are set up that way so that as the weight of the sled comes forward, it gives more traction to the drive wheels.

#15 · (Edited)
LIBAR8R said:
Umm...the last couple of posts contridict, is the rusty's spacer lift good, or something to avoid?

What do you guys think it would cost to get a spacer lift kit installed? Who could do this type of work and what would be a reasonable assumption for install cost? Without kit cost.

Thanks for the info, :thumbsup:
Rusty's spacer lift has been know to cause problems.
Rusty's coil lift had many positive reviews

As for spacer lifts. There are three differnet types when it comes to the front. The rear is all the same and dosen't really matter.
1) One uses a strut spacer that is not inside the strut assembly. Retains stock ride, but can cause problems with upper ball joints and struts. Example: (RRO's OTT kit, Rusty's Spacer Lift, Rough country)
2) Second one that places a spacer inside the strut assembly. Firmer ride but does not cause problems with upper ball joints and struts. Example: (Daystar)
3) Atcually a 3rd, which is a combination of the two and seems to work well for alot of people. Example (RRO's combo lift, Revetek)

With any spacer lift you are probably going to want new rear shocks. Front struts can stay the same, because well travel is really limited by geomerty and not the strut. It's different in the rear. With a 2.5" lift you are going to be topping out the stock shock very often over speed bumps, etc.

However, once you get a spacer lift then add new rear shock it can almost as much as a full spring lift which includes, new springs, shock, and struts. With a spring lift you often have the options of chooseing differnt spring rates. Light, Medium, Heavy depending on your needs.

Install: You are probably looking at about 3-4hrs labor. So at 75/hr that equals 225-300 dollars.
I also noticed you are located in Ohio. If you are willing to drive to Dayton, I would help you put it on. It really not that hard if you have some simple tools and experience. I've done my fair share of lifts.

Check out http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/ and do a search. You should be able to find quite a bit.

#16 ·
Eddo said:
Rusty's spacer lift has been know to cause problems.
Rusty's coil lift had many positive reviews

As for spacer lifts. There are three differnet types when it comes to the front. The rear is all the same and dosen't really matter.
1) One uses a strut spacer that is not inside the strut assembly. Retains stock ride, but can cause problems with upper ball joints and struts. Example: (RRO's OTT kit, Rusty's Spacer Lift, Rough country)
2) Second one that places a spacer inside the strut assembly. Firmer ride but does not cause problems with upper ball joints and struts. Example: (Daystar)
3) Atcually a 3rd, which is a combination of the two and seems to work well for alot of people. Example (RRO's combo lift, Revetek)

With any spacer lift you are probably going to want new rear shocks. Front struts can stay the same, because well travel is really limited by geomerty and not the strut. It's different in the rear. With a 2.5" lift you are going to be topping out the stock shock very often over speed bumps, etc.

However, once you get a spacer lift then add new rear shock it can almost as much as a full spring lift which includes, new springs, shock, and struts. With a spring lift you often have the options of chooseing differnt spring rates. Light, Medium, Heavy depending on your needs.

Install: You are probably looking at about 3-4hrs labor. So at 75/hr that equals 225-300 dollars.
I also noticed you are located in Ohio. If you are willing to drive to Dayton, I would help you put it on. It really not that hard if you have some simple tools and experience. I've done my fair share of lifts.

Check out http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/ and do a search. You should be able to find quite a bit.
Eddo,

Thanks for taking the time to respond with something to digest. I really, REALLY appreciate it! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.