What lift hight before shaved cv's?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What lift hight before shaved cv's??

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

What lift hight before shaved cv's??

I have ome hd springs, struts and long shocks. I added 1/4 top plate and one upper ISo to each rear spring . Im sitting in front 21.5" front center hub to fender flair and 22.5" in rear. I'm adding a 3 2" conduit nuts two both struts, as well as one more iso to the rear. Will this added high mess with my cv's?

-OME HD springs all around-OME struts/shocks-3/8'' clevis lift w/ 1/4 JBA top plate & two extra Iso's in back-4" of lift-JBA 4.5 UCA-31" Duratracs-16x7 Cragar Soft 8's-Flowmaster Super 44-All J's Boulder bars -JBA trans skid - Skidrow front skid-
Destrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

No use for shaved CV's,they cause more issue then fix.If your going that high without correcting the CV angles(custom job) they just will wearout faster,gotta pay to play.

I was over 23" from hub to flare on my KJ when still IFS,no cut CV's and never a issue with flex or the inner CV cups(which are what get's shaved).I did however blow apart a outer CV joint which would have happened with shaved CV's or not.

That sealed the deal for the SFA swap.
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You'll be fine still only at 22.25 or so
no need to worry
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

alright awesome thanks for the responses. Im thinking if I should just level it with the clevis lift with out adding another set of iso's to the back (in total being 2 upper iso's each side.) My rear would sit at about 23.5 inches and front 22.5ish. hmmm what do you think? ^_^
-OME HD springs all around-OME struts/shocks-3/8'' clevis lift w/ 1/4 JBA top plate & two extra Iso's in back-4" of lift-JBA 4.5 UCA-31" Duratracs-16x7 Cragar Soft 8's-Flowmaster Super 44-All J's Boulder bars -JBA trans skid - Skidrow front skid-
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

With 3/8 inch clevis you'll be at 22.25 like I said above when settled back in
Rear with one more upper iso youll be at 23
3/8 inch clevis = 3/4 inch lift in front so 21.5 plus .75 =22.25
rear currently at 22.5 add .50 and end up with 23

of course I still use old math so you calculations may vary
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
With 3/8 inch clevis you'll be at 22.25 like I said above when settled back in
Rear with one more upper iso youll be at 23
3/8 inch clevis = 3/4 inch lift in front so 21.5 plus .75 =22.25
rear currently at 22.5 add .50 and end up with 23

of course I still use old math so you calculations may vary
Sweet thanks, wasn't sure if an extra Iso would add another inch, but it only adds a half inch
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Destrobot
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for all the help guys
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
LiftedKJ

What does 22.25 break out to be for the actual lift? I have a 2 inch lift with 2 inch spacers making it 4 inches in all...does this require the cv's to be shaved..? And if it does what are the actually purpose of shaving them..what does it really solve? Thanks for any responses!
LiftedKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedKJ View Post
What does 22.25 break out to be for the actual lift? I have a 2 inch lift with 2 inch spacers making it 4 inches in all...does this require the cv's to be shaved..? And if it does what are the actually purpose of shaving them..what does it really solve? Thanks for any responses!
22" is about 3" of actual lift over brand new stock height.
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
What kind of lift do you have ?
Like tjkj stated thats 3 inch not a 4 inch lift
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
LiftedKJ

I was aware of that. What I have is a 2.5 in rough country with a 1.5 inch under the coil sitting spacer(****ed my ride because now my struts have no travel. In the back is the same budget boost under the coil(resulting in the same problem, no travel in the shocks) the reason for this is I mistaking slapped 33's on there....first day I had it I buried it a mud hole covered every section of the floor with mud&water, popped one of the 31's that came on it and broke my front drive shaft 😑🔫 so anyways to solve the run I got the spacer set...now I have the issue of no travel available. I do have a solution for the rear(4" bielstein shocks) the front is where I'm having a hard time finding the solution. Without having to buy new cvs or shave mine that is. It's a ghetto rig in the making but damn it ill make it work haha. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. My current thought and solution to the front is an OTT boost but than that provides more travel space(with removing the 'insulator boost', replacing back to stock and than installing the OTT...) but from there with more travel space the cv's can bind and lock according to Marlin who works with kj's at JBA. Any thoughts to help out this **** show I've created would be great!!! Thanks😆
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
LiftedKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
22" is about 3" of actual lift over brand new stock height.
Forgot to quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
LiftedKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
What kind of lift do you have ?
Like tjkj stated thats 3 inch not a 4 inch lift
Had to quote it quick sorry..(new to the site lol)
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I was aware of that. What I have is a 2.5 in rough country with a 1.5 inch under the coil sitting spacer(****ed my ride because now my struts have no travel. In the back is the same budget boost under the coil(resulting in the same problem, no travel in the shocks) the reason for this is I mistaking slapped 33's on there....first day I had it I buried it a mud hole covered every section of the floor with mud&water, popped one of the 31's that came on it and broke my front drive shaft 😑🔫 so anyways to solve the run I got the spacer set...now I have the issue of no travel available. I do have a solution for the rear(4" bielstein shocks) the front is where I'm having a hard time finding the solution. Without having to buy new cvs or shave mine that is. It's a ghetto rig in the making but damn it ill make it work haha. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. My current thought and solution to the front is an OTT boost but than that provides more travel space(with removing the 'insulator boost', replacing back to stock and than installing the OTT...) but from there with more travel space the cv's can bind and lock according to Marlin who works with kj's at JBA. Any thoughts to help out this **** show I've created would be great!!! Thanks😆
Unless you get the "adjust-a-strut" 4" lift from JBA all front shocks for a KJ regardless of brand are the same length.You will not gain any travel by taking one spacer out and adding another in a different place.

Do a correct lift and keep the tires under 31" unless you want to spend the $$$ to do it correctly.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Again what tjkj stated
You have created a real hazard right now
Sorry not being a jerk, just the truth
First with 33s you need a 6 inch lift which can only be had with lots of work and the 6 inch lift from JBA, of course you'll also need the steel front diff and lower gears to make it all work, at least 4.56s front and rear
A true 4 inch to run 32s you still need the adjustable coilovers, JBA upper control arms and at least 4.10 gears
Stock gears and 31s work with say OME springs, OME shocks with JBA upper control arms and a top plate and clevis lift in front with upper isolators in the rear for a 3.25-3.50 lift, ANYTHING above that and you will have UCA/spring contact plus other issues
If you keep trying to add things like the OTT and other spacer style lifts all you will have is an undriveable KJ that will tear the H out of CVs etc
You may think it will work with adding the OTT etc but it will not, I'd say tjkj and myself have had our hands on more lifts on KJs than any other people on these forums. We know what works/what doesn't, have both been around working on these for several years , seen the messes that some have created and what did and din't work.
What you are suggesting has been tried and ended up being a lawn ornament so back to tear out what you have and do it right

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.