What kind of transmission do i have? 2003 3.6L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What kind of transmission do i have? 2003 3.6L

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
pataxe
2003 KJ Liberty 

What kind of transmission do i have? 2003 3.6L

I was going to order a new radiator today and it asked what kind of transmission I had and I have no idea. I know there are two types but I have no idea how to tell them apart. There was a thread with this info i saw a long time ago but of course I cannot find it now. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited with the 3.6L engine. Anyone know an easy way to find out?

pataxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You mean 3.7 V6? No 3.6 ever offered in a KJ.

Look under the hood at the passenger side of the radiator.If you got to lines running directly into the passenger side tank you have the 45RFE trans,if not you have the 42RLE.Being a '03 you could have either trans.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
pataxe
2003 KJ Liberty 

Yes I did mean the 3.7, not sure why I kept thinking it was a 3.7. It has a couple of aluminum lines running into the passenger side tank. Sorry about the quality of the images, ipad doesn't take great pics at night.

Thanks for your help
image.jpg  
pataxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

I can't see the lines in the pic so not able to help you 100%. If the trans lines are running into the radiator then it is the 45RFE.

Another way to tell is to crawl under the Jeep and count the bolts in the transmission pan. If 15 bolts then you have the 45RFE. If there are 13 bolts in the trans pan then you have the 42RLE. I'm guessing you have the 45 since it appears the cooler lines are running into the radiator but count the pan bolts to make sure.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
ditch204

Just call a dealer with the last 8 of the vin. They can get the tranny model. Now depends if they want to be snobby or not
ditch204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.