What the F am I doing wrong? Park brake shoes replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > What the F am I doing wrong? Park brake shoes replacement

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Reply
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
harvester
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 27
What the F am I doing wrong? Park brake shoes replacement

Hi fellas, hopefully someone can help me because I am seriously scratching my head on this one.

The Jeep park brake didnít work when I got it, you could pull it all the way to the top with it only slightly braking the car. I grabbed some new shoes to fix this issue, put them in this morning but still no joy!

I inspected everything and it looks like it is all working OK, put them back in the same way I took them out but when I spin the wheel freely I can feel it grabbing a little. I went for a drive, pulled the handbrake and nothing happened, did it again and it tightned up nicely so the lever was only about half way up (automatic adjustment I guess). I left the manual adjusters on the wheels at the minimum amount but after a quick drive I could smell the brakes pretty bad. Wheel was relatively warm to touch also, seems like they are rubbing somehow.

The handbrake doesnít even slow the car down at the moment, I assume I just need to adjust the shoes via the manual adjustment but the way it is now I donít want to tighten them anymore!

Anyone have any idea where to start? Could they not be releasing fully or something like that?

Thanks for any help!

harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,955
The parking brake is just that,a parking brake.Not designed to stop your KJ or keep your KJ still in gear and giving it some gas.Just aids in keeping the KJ in one spot to keep pressure off the trans.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
harvester
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 27
Ok fair call, can live with that. Is it normal however for them to rub a bit when you put new pads in? So is it normal that I can smell burning brakes when I pull up?
harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvester View Post
Ok fair call, can live with that. Is it normal however for them to rub a bit when you put new pads in? So is it normal that I can smell burning brakes when I pull up?
Guessing your using the old rotors? If so you need to have the inner hat were the parking brake shoes contact turned on a brake lathe.That area will get corroded and that can cause a uneven surface.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
harvester
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Guessing your using the old rotors? If so you need to have the inner hat were the parking brake shoes contact turned on a brake lathe.That area will get corroded and that can cause a uneven surface.
Yeah I did mate, OK that makes sense, thanks for that. Seems to have stopped making contact now so back to square 1 but at least it isnt dragging.
harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Kroni
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville NY
Posts: 37
My KJ has 170,000 miles on it. After about the first 40k the parking brake wasn't really engaging and I tried to adjust it with no luck. I have since changed the pads and the rotor and spend a day adjusting them and still no luck. And when I say no luck I mean that with the jeep on a slight incline in neutral the parking brake will not hold the vehicle from rolling.

Its a shame b/c this has been the only real issue I have consistently had with this vehicle.
Kroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
My KJ has 170,000 miles on it. After about the first 40k the parking brake wasn't really engaging and I tried to adjust it with no luck. I have since changed the pads and the rotor and spend a day adjusting them and still no luck. And when I say no luck I mean that with the jeep on a slight incline in neutral the parking brake will not hold the vehicle from rolling.

Its a shame b/c this has been the only real issue I have consistently had with this vehicle.
My parking brake holds my 6000lbs KJ on a 35 degree incline/decline with no problems.It's just your typical Ford Explorer rear disc brake setup which is the same size as the OE KJ rear disc brakes as far as the parking brake goes.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
gotglasses
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 15
Parking Brake useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The parking brake is just that,a parking brake.Not designed to stop your KJ or keep your KJ still in gear and giving it some gas.Just aids in keeping the KJ in one spot to keep pressure off the trans.
Sorry to disagree, but it fails NYS inspection with your logic. They have to be able to hold the car on a grade while in gear.
gotglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotglasses View Post
Sorry to disagree, but it fails NYS inspection with your logic. They have to be able to hold the car on a grade while in gear.
Read what I wrote again.

Quote:
Not designed to stop your KJ or keep your KJ still in gear and giving it some gas
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
rexstpierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: gatineau, qc
Posts: 13
I'm checking out my parking break tomorrow. I'm having the same issue, the hand break goes up with pressure but it will not hold the car in neutral on a small incline. I have new discs to put on. I'll check out the hand break assembly underneath, adjust it and see what happens.
rexstpierre is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.