Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What is the difference - KK v KJ????

121K views 56 replies 35 participants last post by  okiecowboy1969 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum. What is the difference in a KK and KJ liberty??

#8 ·
KK vs KJ

Hmm...so, what are the mechanical differences (other than the body/looks) that occured at changeover from KJ to KK? Is either more capable off road or are they about the same? Stock vs Stock, of course...

JS

#10 ·
#11 ·
KJ (Pre Lowered). . . . . KK
Approach Angle - 37.2. . .Approach Angle - 39.1
Breakover Angle - 21.8. . Breakover Angle - 20.4
Departure Angle - 31.5. . Departure Angle - 32.1
Ground Clearence - 8.1. . Ground Clearence - 7.7

#18 ·
In 2005, the 3.7 engine was treated to numerous economy and idle-quality changes, with a new cam profile, lash adjusters, rings, and a 9.7:1 compression ratio.

I've never seen, heard or read about any other changes/upgrades to the 3.7 engine since 2005.

Perhaps there was.

Anyone ? :confused:

#19 ·
In 2005, the 3.7 engine was treated to numerous economy and idle-quality changes, with a new cam profile, lash adjusters, rings, and a 9.7:1 compression ratio.

I've never seen, heard or read about any other changes/upgrades to the 3.7 engine since 2005.

Perhaps there was.

Anyone ? :confused:
that might explain why my 05 gets better mileage that my brother's 03 although his has less miles and is freshly rebuilt

#20 ·
The engine in my kj is possibly blown (head gasket). A local garage has a kk that someone rolled. Is it possible to easily swap the engines? Or am I asking for a nightmare? Understandably it would be engine/ecu swap. Would that mean my vin would change since that's on the ecu program? What else would have to be swapped? -- garage wants 1100 for the swap or 3000 for a rebuild on mine. Obviously I'd like to go cheaper lol.

#21 ·
Not even close to being able to swap a KK 3.7 into your '02 KJ.It would require the whole KK's wiring and all the computers since the KK's 3.7 is throttle by wire and you would have to use the KK's braking system as that is all tied into the PCM also since the KK also has ESP and will not run right without it.

Basically in the long run it would cost more then buying a new KK and then some.Just rebuild the engine you already have or get a remaned one and install.

#22 ·
You can also look at AllPar, I think in the Liberty section of the forum, there was article about the 3.7. If I remember correctly 2002-2005, 2005, 2006-2010 although they are all 3.7's emissions had changed causing them make all sorts of internal changes as well as computers. Tjkj2002 is right.

It's sad I remember back in the mid 80's my neighbor swapped his 350 out of his 84' Z-28 for an 86' 454 from a wrecked Chevy 2500. He ran a 4" single pipe and heatsheild and amazing enough it passed emissions. The real amazing thing about it was that you could take off in 5th gear and run 12.3 1/4mi :) Anyway, things are a bit different now lol

#24 ·
A Diesel would be awesome, but before installing it unless you are overseas you will have difficulty passing it through inspection. I think you have to go with a motor made in your year or later.

On the flip side, it would be very expensive to do also. The computer work would be the biggest pain.

What I would think would be neat mod would be ridding the 4spd trans and replacing with a 5spd. I think the computer reprogamming would be a nightmare.

#40 ·
Hi all,

I am currently shopping for a Liberty to replace my 3rd gen 4runner and am having a hard time deciding between the KJ or KK. This will be a dd with some slight mods for light offroading. Would love to hear more feedback on the difference between the 2 and preferences. It seems the aftermarket is a bit more plentiful for the KJ but what about reliability etc. for each? Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.