Weird problem with Lift Glass and Rear wiper motor... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Weird problem with Lift Glass and Rear wiper motor...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
phorty

Weird problem with Lift Glass and Rear wiper motor...

So the rear wiper stopped working on my wife's 2003 Liberty last winter, got stuck halfway on the window. I recently got an used OEM wiper motor and replaced it. When I tried the rear wiper, all I hear is a click, like the motor is turning on but nothing happens. Then nothing happens at all, no response from the motor, no click if I turn it on again. If I try it the next day, it will click again and then be non-responsive. So I figured either the used motor was bad or I have other issues and perhaps the old motor wasn't bad in the first place.

Here is where things got weird. My wife tells me she went somewhere, locked the doors with the key fob, then as she was walking away, the alarm started going off. And then we notice the interior lights are on all the time and the dash says the rear lift glass is open. I can open and close it and it still thinks it's open. What is going on here, did I screw up some electrical when I replaced the motor? The install was very straightforward- unplug 3 connectors, 2 or 3 nuts and done...

'06 Mustang GT Windveil Blue- Borla Stingers, MGW Shifter, Intake/Tune, GT500 wheels/tires
'93 Mustang LX Notch- 144k, Saleen Speedline Wheels
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorty View Post
So the rear wiper stopped working on my wife's 2003 Liberty last winter, got stuck halfway on the window. I recently got an used OEM wiper motor and replaced it. When I tried the rear wiper, all I hear is a click, like the motor is turning on but nothing happens. Then nothing happens at all, no response from the motor, no click if I turn it on again. If I try it the next day, it will click again and then be non-responsive. So I figured either the used motor was bad or I have other issues and perhaps the old motor wasn't bad in the first place.

Here is where things got weird. My wife tells me she went somewhere, locked the doors with the key fob, then as she was walking away, the alarm started going off. And then we notice the interior lights are on all the time and the dash says the rear lift glass is open. I can open and close it and it still thinks it's open. What is going on here, did I screw up some electrical when I replaced the motor? The install was very straightforward- unplug 3 connectors, 2 or 3 nuts and done...
If you do a search on this Forum for "Liberty Service Manuals" you will find a link to all the manuals for the 2002/2003 Liberties..gas or diesel, USA or Export.
Download Section 8, Electrical Diagrams (about 42 Mb) It not only gives you all the circuit diagrams but also the theory on how..for instance...the rear wiper and rear glass mechanisms work as well as locations of components.
There is a switch that senses that the glass is closed...yours may need adjustment as the BCM is not sensing it is closed...probably why the wiper is not working as well..it will not run if the glass is supposedly open!
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
phorty

Ahh, that makes sense! I must done something during the motor install to through off the sensor. I did not put the plastic panel back on yet, maybe that is involved. Hopefully, I don't have to dive too deeply into the circuit diagrams as I am electronically challenged!!
'06 Mustang GT Windveil Blue- Borla Stingers, MGW Shifter, Intake/Tune, GT500 wheels/tires
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorty View Post
Ahh, that makes sense! I must done something during the motor install to through off the sensor. I did not put the plastic panel back on yet, maybe that is involved. Hopefully, I don't have to dive too deeply into the circuit diagrams as I am electronically challenged!!
Your inbox is full so here is my reply by the way:-)

Hi John,
there is a microswitch in the glass latch mechanism which is "open circuit" when the door is closed and a "closed circuit" with the glass open. AS I didn't have a spare switch and my nearest Jeep dealer is a long way away I just diconected the wiring to the door latch switch and it sees it as open circuit which indicates the glass is closed. I have never bothered to buy a new switch as everything is fine and I just make sure the glass is fully closed each time I use the tailgate.
To get to the switch you have to remove the tailgate inside cover which from memory was very simple.
You can't get into the switch to repair it as its a magnetic switch but you could try checking there is no dirt in there stopping it from working properly.
Good luck. Oh and by teh way, if you disconnect the switch wiring and you still have the glass indication up it maybe your multifunction switch on the indicator stems as they can go apparently.

regards

Andy
AndyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
phorty

Thanks for the message Andy. Just cleaned out the inbox!

I actually had the inside cover off already from doing the wiper motor install. I monkeyed with it for the last half hour- both sensor plugs connected, one connected and the other disconnected, vice versa, and both totally unplugged. Nothing I could do fooled the car into thinking the tailgate was closed! The interior light stays on unless I manually turn it off. And alarm think I left it open.

Could that sensor be seized in the "Closed Circuit"? Could have done that somehow by doing the wiper motor install?
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
phorty

I want to try and fix this soon so I think I'll just replace the switch. Does anyone know the part number? Not sure if the dealer will know what I'm talking about.
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
phorty

So I worked backwards and put the original non-functioning rear wiper motor back in and the problem went away. Not sure what was going on with the new motor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.