Weird crank no start, then crank and start issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Weird crank no start, then crank and start issue

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6

Unread 11-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
phase888
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Weird crank no start, then crank and start issue

My 2002 Kj is having a little bit of an issue which started about a month ago. Wife's car - no mods just basically a stock auto 02 Liberty Sport with the 3.7L V6. A month ago she tells me it has trouble cranking (misnomer sadly) so I dash off and replace the off-brand battery with a good one. It tested weak, but not dead. No feedback on better or worse so I assume (you know what that means) it's better. Wrong!

I decide to take her car with us on a little trip today and first cold start doesn't count since I dropped the key back too fast. We get to our destination and wait maybe 20 minutes, go to leave and crank, crank, crank - no start. Turn key back and immediately hit it again and it fires up. I'm puzzled so I ask her if this is what she was complaining about a month ago and she confirms. (omitted lecture about what crank means vs. firing) We drive back towards home ~20 miles and stop for gas, no problem after letting it sit the minutes it took for gas. Next stop was longer, tried starting it in neutral after leaving the key to ON for a 10 count to prime fuel to see if something was getting in the way of it knowing it was in park - cranking with no start, tip key back and repeat - immediate start. Stopped again for 20-ish minutes, same behavior in park.

I'm a little puzzled by this - there are no codes, runs just fine when started. The only problem seems to be that first crank after sitting. I haven't checked fuel pressure yet as I can't find my gauges. At this point I'm supposing it is the fuel pump or the pressure regulator. Any other ideas come to mind for anybody else? I am split on the crankshaft sensor being the culprit but there aren't any issues when driving and no rough idle so I'm not considering it just yet. I've searched but it's hard to narrow down a no start then start issue in searches.

Thanks in advance for any other insight.

phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Rbtconsultants

I don't think letting it sit for a 10 count does anything. The fuel pump runs for a second or two then stops. I'd be interested if you turned the key on without trying to start twice or 3 times for a couple seconds. You should be able to hear the fuel pump run for a second or two when you turn the key on.

Bob
Rbtconsultants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

This is a bit of a reach but easy to credit/discredit. If you have a second key, place it by the ignition. It might be an issue with the security chip in the key.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Check valve or an injector going bad. You are bleeding fuel pressure off when the vehicle is parked. When you find the pressure gauge, attach and look at the pressure, then shut the jeep off, come back periodically and check the pressure and you will most likely see it drop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.