Weird candle wax smell?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Weird candle wax smell??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 10-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
jonger
2003 KJ Liberty 

Weird candle wax smell??

Past couple of weeks been having a bit of weirdness with my 03 lib. After driving about 5 miles i get a strong smell like when you blow out a candle, slight smoke coming from who knows where since I am usually not anywhere to be able to pull over to identify the location its coming from. minutes later it is gone and does not happen again during my commute. now its happening every day.

All the fluids are good... suggestions?

jonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
andresqr

Hi Jonger, did you ever figure out what was producing the weird candle wax smell in your Jeep? I'm having the same issue as you were, exactly as you described it and it is driving me nuts

Thanks man

Andres
andresqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresqr
Hi Jonger, did you ever figure out what was producing the weird candle wax smell in your Jeep? I'm having the same issue as you were, exactly as you described it and it is driving me nuts Thanks man Andres
That's an old thread from 2010 but to answer your question...

It's probably the valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the catalytic converter. If you get the smell when coming to a stop - and you occasionally see a puff of white smoke - then it's the valve cover gasket(s) for sure. Only one may be causing a noticeable problem but the other one isn't far behind.

Not a technically hard fix but the driver/left side is much easier since you don't have to move the heater core hoses out of the way like you do on the right/passenger side.

There are How-To's over on JeepKJ.com to show you the steps. Hope this helps!

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.