Visible Oil Leak near rear of engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Visible Oil Leak near rear of engine

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
libertyflyer
2004 KJ Liberty 

Visible Oil Leak near rear of engine

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble finding an oil leak.

Been driving this jeep since 20k miles and haven't had any oil issues. Im now at 108k and there is a visible leak.

We recently moved to NH and I've been using the 4WD quite a bit because of the snow. I noticed a burning oil smell and recently saw some smoke coming from the engine near the rear.

Upon further investigation, I saw oil dripping down from the left side of the engine (if you are facing the Jeep). It's dripping from the rear somewhere and it falls directly onto the exhaust right before it meets the Cat Converter. I can't seem to see where exactly its coming from.

Any ideas?

libertyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Bnova
2006 KJ Liberty 

I just saw a post here recently that the valve covers can leak at the rear end of the cover and drip right down onto the exhaust and not be seen probably without a mirror and flashlight.
Bnova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyflyer View Post
Hi everyone. I'm having trouble finding an oil leak.

Been driving this jeep since 20k miles and haven't had any oil issues. Im now at 108k and there is a visible leak.

We recently moved to NH and I've been using the 4WD quite a bit because of the snow. I noticed a burning oil smell and recently saw some smoke coming from the engine near the rear.

Upon further investigation, I saw oil dripping down from the left side of the engine (if you are facing the Jeep). It's dripping from the rear somewhere and it falls directly onto the exhaust right before it meets the Cat Converter. I can't seem to see where exactly its coming from.

Any ideas?
The valve cover gasket is known to leak at the rear closest to the firewall. Oil seeps out from under the gasket, forms a drop on the cylinder head, and then falls down to the exhaust manifold and/or the catalytic converter. When the oil is burnt it rises up and is sucked into the HVAC cold air intake at the cowl - makes for a glorious smell in the passenger cabin

The gasket replacement isn't that difficult - but on the passenger side it's a bit more challenging due to the heater core lines that must be removed from the firewall and the coolant reservoir must be moved out of the way. Neither of those two tasks is difficult - just a couple more things to do vs the driver's side.

When you install the new gaskets be sure to use the new grommets that come with the gasket set - pop the old grommets out of the valve covers and press in the new grommets.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
USPLiberty

You can check the valve cover for leaks, and there is plastic "something" on the lower passenger side just below the valve cover that can also leak. Having an inspection camera helps a lot, you can't see very far into these tight modern engine compartments.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

98% sure its the valve cover, easy fix
Took me longer to grab tools than to fix it almost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.