Violent front end shaking UNDER 40 mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Violent front end shaking UNDER 40 mph

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
Fireball13
2002 KJ Liberty 

Violent front end shaking UNDER 40 mph

I've been looking everywhere for ideas as to WHY my 02 liberty has random fits of violent shaking but seem to only be finding issues where people are experiencing it OVER 40-50 mph.

My problem gets better the faster I go. This problem comes and goes. Last time it happened it was gone by the time I got home. Today, it started on my way home and is still doing it as I have no choice but to drive it to work down the road.

The best I can explain it is it feels like theres something stuck in the front end that the jeep keeps kind of "tripping" over. It gets worse the SLOWER I go. Hitting the brakes makes it even worse. So far, I don't seem to notice feeling the shake in the steering wheel at all or even in the brake pedal but I'll pay more attention on my way to work and see what other details I can come up with. I know I'm terrible at giving them.

The rotors and brakes are new within the last few months and were checked when I had the problem the first time. Biggest problem was, It wasn't doing it anymore by the time I got to dads so he never got to hear the problem. He asked if I could post something on here and get some ideas because until he hears it himself, he is stumped by my description.

Fireball13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
USPLiberty

I think that I experienced the same thing going through a long freeway transition turn. One of my CV joints went bad and came loose/popped off in the middle of the turn. It made a really loud wobbling sound with some clicking like something substantial got stuck to the tire. I exited the freeway and checked underneath but it went away. The CV must have "popped back on" somewhere during the exit and I couldn't tell what was wrong as everything felt tight but I did notice some deep scratches on the metal CV housing near the diff. It finally completely let go about a month later and messed up the axle stub pretty bad = all new CV axle plus a new axle shaft.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball13 View Post
I've been looking everywhere for ideas as to WHY my 02 liberty has random fits of violent shaking but seem to only be finding issues where people are experiencing it OVER 40-50 mph.

My problem gets better the faster I go. This problem comes and goes. Last time it happened it was gone by the time I got home. Today, it started on my way home and is still doing it as I have no choice but to drive it to work down the road.

The best I can explain it is it feels like theres something stuck in the front end that the jeep keeps kind of "tripping" over. It gets worse the SLOWER I go. Hitting the brakes makes it even worse. So far, I don't seem to notice feeling the shake in the steering wheel at all or even in the brake pedal but I'll pay more attention on my way to work and see what other details I can come up with. I know I'm terrible at giving them.

The rotors and brakes are new within the last few months and were checked when I had the problem the first time. Biggest problem was, It wasn't doing it anymore by the time I got to dads so he never got to hear the problem. He asked if I could post something on here and get some ideas because until he hears it himself, he is stumped by my description.
Sounds like you may have a CV joint or intermediate shaft going bad as mentioned above. The "intermediate shaft" on the passenger side connects the CV axle to the differential. The intermediate shaft gets worn on the outboard end to the point that the splines are completely worn away, giving the CV axle nothing to attach/hold on to. As mentioned, both the shaft and the CV axle need to be replaced. If you replace the CV axle only use a remanufactured one from NAPA. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. all sell poor quality Liberty CV's that are typically too short and they end up wobbling as bad or worse than the damaged one you replaced.

I'm in Hartville and could meet you around Belden or somewhere to take a test drive if you'd like. May be able to point you in the right direction.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Fireball13
2002 KJ Liberty 

USPLiberty - Its so frustrating that it keeps coming and going. I drove home from my boyfriends this morning (25 min) experiencing it the entire way (any time under 40ish) and again when I got home and made my mom go for a drive with me to prove I wasn't crazy hearing noises. An hour later after doing some searching and posting this forum, I left for work and nope. Nothing. Makes it really hard for dad to get an idea of what's happening without hearing it for himself on top of what I'm telling him.

He did mention as he took things apart tonight that the rotors look like they're almost flaking like something keeps getting stuck on them. He's replacing the brakes either way and will do the rotors as well. But I'll definitely let him know what you guys said - he's just looking for any sort of idea. He thought maybe a caliper sticking at first but I'm not feeling it pushing back in the brake pedal so that idea didn't make sense anymore... looked at the upper and lower control arms and those looked good.

TwoBobsKJ - Thanks so much for the offer, but as I stated above - everything is perfect now... of course... until I need the vehicle desperately it will be fine - this seems to be my luck with any vehicle I've ever had. I'm pretty sure I'm carrying some sort of unhappy spirit with me from car to car as I live my life...
Fireball13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
USPLiberty

I had a sticky caliper on the passenger side but the only noise that I heard was a scraping sound after I let off on the brake pedal. One of the sliding bushing pins rusted out so the caliper was not letting go on the rear. The inner pad was always wearing out unevenly and it ended up warping my rotor. I changed that caliper and both rotors and pads then all was good with my brakes.

The really bad vibration + thumping sound "like the wheels were coming off", was the bad CV axle/intermediate axle and it was also intermittent. It only happened on those long sweeping freeway exchanges, both gradual turns to the left.
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

Have you checked your balljoints? I don't see how the cv's can make the jeep wobble like you explained…their on the inside, of point of rotation being wheel bearings. Check the a-arm's bushings and balljoint also. Please get this fixed and let us know what it was….Oilburner

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.