Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

vibration at 50mph

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  lunathree 
#1 ·
First time jeep owner with a used 2003 Liberty 4x4 sport. The thing is solid but I have a vibration while driving. The vibration starts at about 47 mph and ceases at 55 mph (when accelerating). It is present in 2nd ,3rd, and OD gears. It stops when coasting but is especially wicked if holding the vehicle at 50mph. Something in the drivetrain I suppose. Any thoughts or experience before I take it to the dealer? Thanks. Corder

#3 ·
not to change the subject but what kind off waranty does the KJ have. would a used 2002 with 33K still havea waranty left

#6 ·
vibration

if you can drive in and out of the vibration by varying your speed, it's almost certainly a problem with the tires. In fact, I'd be willing to bet it's those damn Goodyears which give an incessant steering wheel vibration....which for me is around 70mph. Each time you rotate the tires, make sure to balance the front ones. Although the original Goodyears are good in snow...they suck for regular highway driving. I'm also wondering if the lower ball joint problem indicated in the most recent Liberty recall isn't somewhat responsible for some of this irritating vibration. I expect to get a recall notice soon, and will see if there's an improvement. Up til now...it really helped to make sure the tires were balanced real well. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
corder said:
First time jeep owner with a used 2003 Liberty 4x4 sport. The thing is solid but I have a vibration while driving. The vibration starts at about 47 mph and ceases at 55 mph (when accelerating). It is present in 2nd ,3rd, and OD gears. It stops when coasting but is especially wicked if holding the vehicle at 50mph. Something in the drivetrain I suppose. Any thoughts or experience before I take it to the dealer? Thanks. Corder
I have exactly the same problem with my 2003 Sport 4x4. I haven't had time to take it to the dealer yet.

Another owner posted about the same problem on either JU or LOST can't recall which, said there was supposed to be a TSB about the problem which involves the driveshaft?

Thats 4 TSB's and 1 recall affecting my Liberty, not good.

TSB's:
Popping out of gear
Hard downshift
stumbling
driveshaft?

Recall:
Ball joints

#11 ·
corder said:
not sure how this works but... 2003 owner jeep liberty, 2019 miles. had a vibration..slight. tires checked for balance,nope, differential checked" replaced, still vibration. master shaft: replaced,- nope. drive shaft:eek:n back order. My LIBERTY HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR 19 DAYS. the Jeep has never been on a trip, never mind been in 4 wheel drive. take yours to the deeler and say WHHHHASUP. GOOD LUCK

#12 ·
First off early 02 Libertys only had a 3year 36,000 mile warrenty. That's all mine came with. I was po'ed when later in the year, when the 7/70 started. The stock Goodyear tires SUCK!! Had problems with mine from the day we bought Libby. They wear funny and go out of balance if you look at them wrong. I started having my dealer notate tire problems at 3000 miles and they never stopped until I chunked um. Do yourself a favor and put a set of Goodrich 235/70x16 AT KO's on and tire noise and balance problems will disappear. I've got 4000 miles on my set and they made the Liberty a completely different Jeep

#13 ·
vibration

My 02 Liberty has a similar vibration around 50. It may be due to the transfer case mount/crossmember. One of the mounting points needs to be shimmed. The pitch is wrong on the back driveshaft. My best guess.....but I'm gonna talk to the Jeep shop about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.