Very Weird Squeaking from Front End - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Very Weird Squeaking from Front End

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Very Weird Squeaking from Front End

Well I just got finished replacing my wheel bearing last night and went for a test drive

This is what i did to do the wheel bearing.
equipment needed
36mm socket
3/4 SAE socket
8mm socket
10mm socket [this will be if you stripped the wheel bearing bolts lol]
7/16 sae socket
Ratchet
Breaker Bar

1. Jack up the car up
2. Take off the wheels
3. Try to secure the hub from spining.
-What i did for this was i took the wheels center cap off by unscrew three 8 mm bolt on the back side of the center caps
4. I put the wheels back on with like 2 lug nuts, lower the vehicle enough just to get the wheel on the floor without the whole weigh of the car on it
5. Brake the Axle nut off its a 36MM Axle Nut
6. Take the wheel back off
7. Take the Caliper bracket two 3/4 SAE bolts the rotor pads caliper and bracket will come out all at the same time [lol i was lazy so i took it all out as 1 piece]
8. have a something to rest the brake unit on something
9. unbolt the wheel hub bearing out. three 7/16 SAE bolts [if you strip them go to a 10mm and pound it in with a hammer.
10. take a sledge hammer and out the back side of the hub it will come off pretty easy

So now on to the question.
AFTER doing all this i took it for a test drive. drove it around and cant seem to find out why there is a squeaking sound.

Car has 196k miles, i dont think the car has recently have a brake service as the rear brakes look like corroded and warped.

These are the test i performed
The squeaking is always present in motion but more profound at lower speed less then 30mph. When you apply the breaks hard it the sound goes away. if you apply it medium it gets louder. if no breaks are applied they are lower squeaks.

I personally thinks its the brakes its self and nothing in the wheel or suspension that would do that would it?
I did noticed the brakes did also pulsated during higher speed breaking 60mph+ so it could also be a warp rotor.
at first i thought it was the wheel not being tight but they were in fact tight.

What are your thoughts and opinion on this?

SilverGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

I have to definitely agree wit the brakes and most likely the warped rotor
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
gorilla13

Check your pads for uneven wear also. Then replace the rotors and pads (cheap fix) if you find that their is a wear issue.
gorilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Front Brake Pads and Rotors have been ordered, Hopefully this will fix the squeaking....i will post updates to see if it is indeed the rotors and pads.
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

check to make sure the dust shield isnt contacting the rotor. they are very easy to ben, most times you dont even realize you have. turn the wheel so you can see it and clearance it a little bit with a screwdriver and usuallyh that fixes it
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04KJlimited View Post
check to make sure the dust shield isnt contacting the rotor. they are very easy to ben, most times you dont even realize you have. turn the wheel so you can see it and clearance it a little bit with a screwdriver and usuallyh that fixes it

That what a freind of mine said too but to counter that idea:
Why would it stop when you step on the breaks hard but not hard enough to come to a complete stop the squeaking goes away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.