Vehicle Malfunction Light..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Vehicle Malfunction Light.....

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
nschuchert

Vehicle Malfunction Light.....

I took my Liberty in for the 6000 mile service last week, no problems until Monday. The vehicle malfunction light (orange rectangle) turned on and was still on today. So I called the dealer and was told to bring it and am doing so Friday morning. Now, on my way home from work tonight the light went off. I'm gonna call the dealer again tomorrow, but should I still bring it in if the light went off?

nschuchert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
bbo

yep .. could be intermittent ... code will still be there ...
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
nschuchert

Well, I called the service department at the Jeep dealer today and told them it went away. According to the guy, if the light isn't on they can't figure if there is even a problem. He told me sometimes it's a computer glitch that causes it to go on or maybe the gas cap wasnt on tight enough he said. It went away last night and didnt go on at all today so he told me to just cancel the appointment. Hopefully it doesnt go on again.
Unread 02-24-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
nschuchert

I'm gonna bring it in anyway, regardless I won't have to pay anything because it's under warranty, and if there is something wrong I'd much rather have it get fixed now.
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
madmanfrommars

The computer keeps a record of why the check engine light has come on in I think the last month, so the dealer can see why it was on.

[URL=http://staff.filesnetwork.com/madman/CIMG1846.JPG]Illuminating the Night[/URL]

As far as I know, I'm the only person to own a flame red liberty with the light bar, and until someone disproves that to me, I'm going to enjoy it.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
patentguy

I had a similar experience. My check engine/MIL light came on and I phoned the dealer to make an appointment. The night before the appointment, the light went off. I brought it in anyway. The CRD ran fine before, during and after this event.

They retrieved the fault code P0504. They said it related to my brake lights. They did a number of diagnostic tests, conversed back and forth with STAR, and found no problems.

Their conclusion was that the fault code/check engine light was tripped acccidentally.
patentguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
nschuchert

I brought it in this morning even though the light was off. Something triggered it to go on and I'd much rather make sure there is nothing wrong. So it's at the dealer right now should be ready sometime this afternoon.
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
nschuchert

Just got home with the car. It was indeed a computer glitch and even though it went off last night, apparently it turned on again when they moved it from the parking lot into the garage to service it. So they reset the computer and told me it was most likely faulty programming on the onboard computer that caused the issue. I, of course paid nothing, but when they have you sign your vehicle out it shows the cost if it were to be paid for, would've been 225 bucks for the apparently 3 hours they worked on my car "testing it". Right.....I'm just glad everything is fine.
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Computer glitch... right. That doesn't happen often... if the light comes on, something was up.

In any case, it probably WAS a loose gas cap. I bet they didn't even check the actual code that was thrown.
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
nschuchert

For some reason I think the service guy didn't tell me everything and the invoice isn't too detailed either.

Invoice says:
Customer states check engine light is on.

Cause: 211 Reprogrammed PCM
205 WP40

Fault P0573 0.8, Reprogram PCM per TSB 18-029-05

Anyone have a clue what that mumbo jumbo means?
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Make : JEEP Model : LIBERTY Year : 2005
Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Service Bulletin Num : 0802905 Date of Bulletin: JUN 10, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10015800
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Summary:
INTERMITTENT 4WD LAMP ILLUMINATION OR MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP DUE TO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0573 - BRAKE SWITCH #1 CIRCUIT HIGH. *TT

Well looks like they did check everything. This is unusual... some dealers are really lazy. Looks like you have a decent one there.
Unread 02-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #12
76CherokeeChief

If your gas cap was loose the computer would have stored a code for a EVAP failure/problem. Sounds like they at least reprogrammed the computer.
76CherokeeChief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
nschuchert

Guess what? The same light came back on today, I was so pissed. I called the dealer and chewed out the guys in the service department. This will be the third time going there in less than three weeks, twice for the same problem. Putting miles on my car, wasting my gas all to get to a place that can't figure out how to fix the car they made. I can't miss any more work or class to get my car fixed so I'm gonna go after my morning class at 1 PM tomorrow. I told the guy he's got about three hours to fix my car or I'll be expecting a loaner car until it's fixed because I can't spend whole days at the car dealer for weeks straight. This is absolutely ridiculous, they really are morons.
Unread 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
patentguy

See the following TSB:

http://alldata.com/tsb/Chrysler/1129...01-05A/11.html
patentguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #15
buells1
2006 KJ Liberty 

Service Bulletins?

Is there a way to pull-up the service bulletins only the CRD?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.