Using Tow Hooks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Using Tow Hooks

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-22-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Using Tow Hooks

or not.

It says you can't intall the rear tow hook if you have a hitch receiver. In which case, where do you hook the tow rope/strap on the rear?

Also, has anyone used the front tow hooks to say pull someone out of mud or snow going in reverse? My brother tried to pull me out of the snow last year (had a neon before I got smart ). He was using a full size GMC pickup and when he tried to pull me out going backwards he couldn't. When he turned around and went forward, out I came.

Are you supposed to try pulling people out of snow or mud going backwards?

Sorry if this is easy stuff, it's my first Jeep.

Unread 10-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can use the hitch as a recovery point in the back. I prefer to pull people out with me going forward.
Unread 10-22-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
naguabo
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Use the hitch to recover!...Liberty type III hithes are 5,000 pounds strength...
[SIZE=3][FONT=garamond]Jeep Wrangler Sport 2005, black, 4.oL, auto, 3.73 axle, Dana 44 rear, K/N Cold Air Intake Kit, Ravine Wheels, Dual Top, Olympic 4x4 Front End and Brush Guards and my wife Libbys is a 2003 - Jeep Liberty Sport - 4x4 - v6 - Draw-Tite Hitch - K & N + TrackRacing Cold Air Intake, WARTHOG Brush-Guard. See both cars in [URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/666075/1]My Cars[/URL] [/FONT][/SIZE]
naguabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Nan

hitch

Get a shackle receiver and put it in your hitch. Just unthread the end and loop the tow strap through and thread the end back in. The tow strap won't slip off .

You can tow backwards. At Camp Jeep Ca, a XJ got stuck uphill in sand and a KJ towed him out going backwards uphill in the sand. Lots of cheering!
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 12:59 AM   #5
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thank you all for the info. I like the idea of the shackle. This forum is great!!!
Unread 10-23-2004, 03:27 AM   #6
DarkRubiTJ

While the shackle is great, until you find one, just use the pin that holds your hitch in. Don't use the hitch with ball, they have been known to break.

Her-2005 Grand WK
DarkRubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 06:37 AM   #7
VTNomad
2012 JK Wrangler 

Receiver tow hitch

If you insist on a tow hook for the rear, they make one that fits into a 2" receiver hitch.
Unread 10-23-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Isis Liberty

That seems counter-intuitive. Can the Hitch pin alone hold better than the hitch and ball? It would seem that the hitch pin is only under shear forces between the receiver and hitch. But if you put a tow rope/strap/or hook on the hitch pin alone you would add additional bending moments that the pin may not be designed for. Do you know how the hitch w/ ball are breaking? I assume the hitch pin is the weakest link in either set-up and any force that would shear a hitchpin when used w/ a hitch and ball would much more than a hitch pin (of equal quality) can handle alone. My 0.02 in a good natured and helpfull discussion. Cheers .
Isis Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #9
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

VTNomad

Do you have a link to the tow hook that goes into the hitch?
Unread 10-28-2004, 06:29 AM   #10
DarkRubiTJ

The hitch pin is solid metal, might bend won't break. A hitch ball and receiver is constructed of several parts. Most of the balls will break off at a much lower breaking strength than the pin will bend. Remember a hitch ball is only designed to handle the tounge weight and not much more. There is a reason folks go to a 5th wheel set-up when they are pulling a heavy trailer. I've bent the hitch out of allignment before I've bent the pin. The tow strap will stay on a pin with 100% positive connection, on a ball you either have to hook it on the ball and it has the chance of becoming disconnected with devastating results, or you weaken the connection by wrapping the strap back on itself. You go from a double strap in the loop to a single strap under extreme tension. Breaking a tow strap is dangerous and not something that you really want to take a chance on.

Her-2005 Grand WK
DarkRubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2004, 01:10 AM   #11
madrabbitt

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE never use the ball.

We were just talking the other day about someone who got killed when the tow strap with metal hooks failed.

The tow straps you want are the ones with the fabric loops, not the metal hooks. Like the picture shows, you get one of those spiffy shackles/d rings. BTW, the hitch is rated about twice as much as a single tow hook would be. And like someone else said, in a pinch you can stick your tow strap INTO your hitch, and secure it with a standard hitch pin and clevis. I've done that many a time.

As for the forward/backward thing. Personally, i'd prefer yanking from the rear because it allows a full range of gears to use in both 4hi and 4lo. I only do a recovery in reverse when i absolutly have to... and with idiot friends like i have... i've had to alot.

Good luck!

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2004, 06:11 AM   #12
Isis Liberty

Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight. Last thing I want is a 2lb projectile under thousands of lbs of force flying around me or the wife.
cheers
Isis Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
russkrs

Use the Hitch Pin all the time, never had one bend or break!!! So don't worry about it.
Unread 11-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
madrabbitt

In a pinch, sticking the strap end thru the hitch hole and securing it with a pin is fine. hell of a lot safer then a ball anyway.

Make sure you use the clippy to hold the hitch pin in.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Chorlton
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hi,

As a newbie, I'm looking for advice on getting a decent tow strap for my 2005 KJ and wondered if anyone could post some suppliers/piccies? Also details of good shackle would be most helpful!

Many thanks guys.
Chorlton is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.