U Joint Failure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > U Joint Failure

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
krob6691

U-Joint replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
This weekend I replaced the rear driveshaft u joint at the pinion. Its a 2006, with 45k miles. Isn't it a little early to have to do this? No vibes or anything until the joint went, so it's not that. The only thing I could think of would be he shifts from reverse to forward before he completely stops while backing up. Still is seems early. Any thoughts?
Ditto. Same year, same mileage, same bad u-joint. Not much snow/salt here in SE Buckeye state either. Always careful when shifting/driving, too. My '06 Liberty has been problems from almost the day I bought it new. All 4 windows have fallen out - 2 more than once (crap regulators). Started vibrating, grinding noises @40-50 mph, and yup, U-joint bad. Dealer fixed, and also installed new rear rotors. Said they were bad, too.
Always babied this Jeep. All scheduled services done, and all recalls taken care of promptly. Lord, this thing only has 65K miles on it...hate to think what might be @90K. I don't plan to keep this lemon long enuff to find out. Sad. I thought I was buying a durable, dependable vehicle. Hmmmfff.

krob6691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

rear ujoints replaced once in 179,000 miles
No issues with window regulators
Brakes replaced once in 179,000 miles, rotors are stock
some have a few issues others do not
Just replaced the radiator for the first time, some people had issues at 90,000-100,000 miles
Mines been great and it gets driven
and yes only owner bought 9/21/04
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
krob6691

U-Joint replacement update

Anyone know where I can purchase U-Joints for my '06 Liberty in bulk?

Once again had vibration & grinding sound at 40mph, and back to the local dealer I go. Couldn't POSSIBLY be u-joints! Had 'em replaced at 45,000 miles and now with 65,000, it just had to be something else. Wrong. Sadly, the dealer informed me that my 12,000 mile replacement part(s) warranty had expired on the u-joints they put in 18 months earlier.

Guess you gotta' replace 'em almost as often as you change wiper blades.

$700 for u-joints so far, and double that for broken window regulators......

No more Jeeps or D/C products for me!
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

krob6691: Try Action Machine Inc. Get real spicers!
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
krob6691

U-Joint replacement update

Thanks, grainofsalt. Checking out their website now. Can't be worse than OEM D/C u-joints!
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

NAPA
thats all I used for others that I've replaced
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krob6691 View Post
Thanks, grainofsalt. Checking out their website now. Can't be worse than OEM D/C u-joints!
Your OEM u-joints(non-value line) are made by Spicer,there value line is cheap junk and made in china.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.