U Joint Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > U Joint Failure

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

U Joint Failure

This weekend I replaced the rear driveshaft u joint at the pinion. Its a 2006, with 45k miles. Isn't it a little early to have to do this? No vibes or anything until the joint went, so it's not that. The only thing I could think of would be he shifts from reverse to forward before he completely stops while backing up. Still is seems early. Any thoughts?

mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone? Thoughts?
Unread 09-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
This weekend I replaced the rear driveshaft u joint at the pinion. Its a 2006, with 45k miles. Isn't it a little early to have to do this? No vibes or anything until the joint went, so it's not that. The only thing I could think of would be he shifts from reverse to forward before he completely stops while backing up. Still is seems early. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't say thats anything to worry about.If you live with snow in the winter,that will cause faster wear.I would stop,before shifting,because its not good for your tranny,or U-Joints.I hope this helps.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
I wouldn't say thats anything to worry about.If you live with snow in the winter,that will cause faster wear.I would stop,before shifting,because its not good for your tranny,or U-Joints.I hope this helps.
Yeah. It's actually my friends car. I always gave him crap about shifting like that, but I'm still surprised it went out so fast! I've been working on misc. jeeps for a long time, and unless something was really messed up, I've never had one NOT last longer than that.
Unread 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Yeah. It's actually my friends car. I always gave him crap about shifting like that, but I'm still surprised it went out so fast! I've been working on misc. jeeps for a long time, and unless something was really messed up, I've never had one NOT last longer than that.
Its how you drive your vehicle.I had to replace a clutch on a GMC 4WD with 700 miles,it was a truck driven by differant people.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Clockworkorange
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have a 2006 with only 36,000 miles.
In the high 20's low 30's I had a sqeak,squeek,squeek, from the u-jionts (Idon't know which one)and reported it top the dealer.
They said the joint was not worn so no repair for know, but they have it on record for the future.
Well, know I have a vibration, loudest on deceleration, between 30 & 50 mph, and guess what, the squeak is gone when I back up. So I need to go to the dealer on monday to see what they will do.

Anyway more to your point, I think that is too early for U-joints to go too.
I think we have a 60,000 mile warranty don't we?
Clockworkorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
LoneLiberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Mine were dry as a bone at 25,000 miles!
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Clockworkorange
2006 KJ Liberty 

Just a little update.
I was at the dealer in Hamilton Ontario this morning and did confirm that there is a 100,000 kilometre/60,000 mile warranty that did cover the replacement of that same U-joint that you had replaced. The rust was just pouring out of it. Running smooth & quiet again.
Clockworkorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneLiberty View Post
Mine were dry as a bone at 25,000 miles!

Thats why I always replace my U-joints with the ones that have the grease zerk built in.

I have changed out all of the u-joints on a friends truck twice (work truck with 180,000mi on it). But, on the other hand, I never touched the U-joints in a camaro I used to have. I bought the thing almost brand new, and drove it hard for 90,000mi (launches, burnouts, doughnuts, etc.) and never had a single problem.

I think it all has to do with how well they stay dry and greased. As soon as a little water gets in there, it doesnt take long for them to get clunky. Im curious to see how these CV's last on the new driveshafts.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on the application I think, I know on the trucks I've had the sealed joints have lasted longer than the greaseable ones.
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

ALWAYS come to a full and complete stop before shifting manual or AT. I cant stress that enough, to all those people who shift into drive when backing out of a spot while still moving your screwing your tranny up. My wife and dad do/did this. I keep telling them that a very small piece of metal has to engage and it was not meant to take that kind of abuse, and yet people still complain when their tranny or drivetrain fails. Lets just say that when the wife drives the car she comes to a complete stop now.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
JoeKrepps
2006 KJ Liberty 

Wish I'd seen this sooner!

At ~114k miles, the front U-joint in my wife's '06 Liberty Renegade let loose. She was actually on her way to our local indie garage when it snapped. We'd had a vibration for quite some time. It was supposed to be checked a few months ago and the local Jeep stealership _completely_ missed it during their freebie "Safety Check". (It was in for rear end suspension recall. They nitpicked corrosion on the + battery terminal among other outrageously priced items.)

Really tees me off! I've got a '99 Subaru Outback with 312k miles and I've _never_ had an issue with my rear driveshaft joints. In Feb., I replaced my first CV joint.

Thankfully, she was only going ~30mph when it snapped and she was helped by fellow drivers. (She's disabled.)

Question: She said after it snapped, the motor then stalled and she couldn't restart it. It's a manual 6 speed. What is it about a broken U-joint that would cause the motor to quit?

Many thanks for your replies!
JoeKrepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I think if you look at your geographic locations, there is a common denominator here. Road salt, in particular sodium chloride is used frequently, and can find its way thru seals.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I think if you look at your geographic locations, there is a common denominator here. Road salt, in particular sodium chloride is used frequently, and can find its way thru seals.
Yup. Mine went out at some 80,000, but it wasn't rust or lack of fluid. Just some good wear and tear from driving on road and off. Very little salt used in OK.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Nope, very little salt is used in the sooner state. Former tulsa/broken arrow resident here actually.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.