type of power steering fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > type of power steering fluid

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
haski27

type of power steering fluid

Hey guys i dont know what kind of power steering fluid to use on my 08 liberty please help me out its a little low. I dont wanna put the wrong type in ive heard it could damage the power steering system

haski27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Mopar ATF+4 tranny fluid
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yes, ATF+4 as richd said. Also wanted to say that your owners manual should list all your fluid types.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
haski27

cool thanks guys
haski27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know why tranny fluid is used for power steering in the new Libbys? I'm just curious. Up until I bought this '09 I'd never heard of it. Then there it was in the manual. Are there other cars that go this route? Obviously the two fluids must share similar properties. Just curious.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

My guess is that Trans fluid has all the best properties over PS fluids. High temp, non foaming, excellent cleaning action, non corrosive etc. I thought my PS pump was a bit noisy though and recently had it flushed by dealer. Yesterday I removed about 4 oz from pump container and added in LubeGard power Steering Fluid and within one minute it was dead quiet. Wonder if something is still missing in the +4 fluids though.
http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/index.html
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.