Trying to replace a door speaker for my sister in law... need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Trying to replace a door speaker for my sister in law... need help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
jkufen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Trying to replace a door speaker for my sister in law... need help

My sister in law just bought a 2005 jeep liberty and one of the door speakers are blown. Im not sure exactly what sub-model it is but I know its a 4wd and has leather seats . I have not seen this car yet but I am trying to do some research to familiarize myself with the process before I go over there because she's not local for me. Thanks for the help

jkufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
cuda6872
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Youtube can be helpfull. Just look up jeep liberty speakers.
cuda6872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

You will have to remove a screw behind the door handle. You will see a little cover you can pop off. Also there will be a screw in the grab handle if you look in there. I believe they are T-20 or T-25. Then pop off all of the clips around the door. Lift it up over the lock thing. Now I just supported it with bungie cords while I replaced the speaker so I didn't have to mess with the linkage. Definitely not a bad door panel to take off.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
CrutchfieldMark
2004 WJ 

Door panel removal steps are as follows:
1.Pry off screw cover in center of door release handle trim and remove (1) phillips screw.
2. Remove (1) phillips screw in bottom of door pull cup.
3. Pry around trim edges to release (9) plastic retention clips. Pull panel out enough to release door release rod and remove panel.
The factory speakers are 6.75 inch speakers and just about any round speaker will fit if you've got an adapter bracket. Hope this helps!
CrutchfieldMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Wow, amazing as I came in here to ask about door speakers for my '04 Liberty. What service!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

Agreed, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
^Wow, amazing as I came in here to ask about door speakers for my '04 Liberty. What service!
The forum spirit is one of the best things about the internet, people helping complete strangers is very cool. Thanks.
LibertyOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

2005 Liberty KJ front door speakers replacement - preAmp version

Great info here about the panel removal, thanks, usually that is a nasty job but on this, easy. So I get mine out and discover there's a pre-amp bolted to the speaker and the speaker is very special OEM with a plate built in to support this pre-amp. But the speakers is 'normal' so I bought some replacements at Best Buy for $80.00 (nice ones), and if you see what I did to strap that pre-amp to the speaker, you'd all laugh your asses off.. but it works. (some lamp cord, foam padding, and of course, duct tape). Solid as a rock, sounds great and now that I've done one, the other will take about 30 minutes total.

I do recommend you solder the wire patching you'll do from the preamp to the speaker. I'll post some pics maybe of the parts and how I did it if of interest.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOrDeath View Post
...I do recommend you solder the wire patching you'll do from the preamp to the speaker. I'll post some pics maybe of the parts and how I did it if of interest.
As the saying goes...'Pics or it didn't happen!'

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOrDeath View Post
Great info here about the panel removal, thanks, usually that is a nasty job but on this, easy. So I get mine out and discover there's a pre-amp bolted to the speaker and the speaker is very special OEM with a plate built in to support this pre-amp. But the speakers is 'normal' so I bought some replacements at Best Buy for $80.00 (nice ones), and if you see what I did to strap that pre-amp to the speaker, you'd all laugh your asses off.. but it works. (some lamp cord, foam padding, and of course, duct tape). Solid as a rock, sounds great and now that I've done one, the other will take about 30 minutes total.

I do recommend you solder the wire patching you'll do from the preamp to the speaker. I'll post some pics maybe of the parts and how I did it if of interest.

why not just drill a hole in the door and bolt the pre-amp to that?
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/i...07/index2.html This thread is specific to the Infinity system so I posted my pics there. If you want to mount it that way, great but this way worked great. I did not take a pic of my klugey strapped together speaker/amp combo, but I will when I do the other door. This way, the speaker and amp stay together just like OEM, come out together with just the 3 screws mounting the speaker to the door, and no new clearance issues to deal with. I did it all without pulling off the door panel, I just disconnected the 2 screws and 9 clips and pulled it back enough to get that top screw (of 3) out to remove the speaker/preamp subassembly. Takes more time to write about it than to do it. I'll post 3 pics here but there's 6 or so in the other thread. The adapter plate for the 3 hole mount surprisingly was included in the speaker kit, that was a big relief, I was expecting to have to hunt that down. Not much of a car audio guy, maybe those adapters are standard in all replacement car speakers these days, it would make sense (which is why it surprised me so much!).
dsc05305.jpg   dsc05309.jpg   dsc05311.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.