Transmission woes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
sdj1704

Transmission woes

Last Friday I started on my drive home to discover that something wasnt quite right when I pulled away. The acceleration was sluggish. On arriving at the many stop lights on my way home, I would pull up then release off the brake to crawl to the line only for the transmission to jult and then run on.

I would then try to pull away and it would slip, disnegage and then after I lifted off and pushed back on it would finally bite.

By the time I got home, it was slipping all the way when I tried to drive up my parking garage.

I called around the local dealers (as it is under the 70k warranty) and found one close to my work that was open and would take it in on the Saturday morning.

So to summarize the weeks efforts:

Saturday: They told me it would get looked at until Monday as they were backed up.

Tuesday: They had yet to look at it as they were still backed up.

Wednesday: They told me they had been running computerized diagnostics since Tuesday (yes they did tell me on Tuesday afternoon that they hadnt yet looked at it!!) The Diagnostics told them to replace a valve.

Thursday: The valve change made no difference, after various calles with Jeep they decided to remove the transmission and overhaul it.

Friday: They had the transmission out and discovered "various" parts that needed replacing.

Sometime next week: is when they expect to have it finished!

I dare say this is all because it is under warranty, in the mean time I am having to pay for rentals as we are a one car family.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
JoBo

You didn't say what year and engine you have. Off hand it sounds like the torque converter issue our CRD's are having. However I read somewhere the later KJ's use the same automatic trannie as the CRD's and some have the same problems.

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
2006 KJ CRD Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat Limited
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
sdj1704

My bad, its a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6.

Apparantly they said that they had experienced it suddenly jumping out of drive and into reverse.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 04:51 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBo
You didn't say what year and engine you have. Off hand it sounds like the torque converter issue our CRD's are having. However I read somewhere the later KJ's use the same automatic trannie as the CRD's and some have the same problems.

If it is, then there goes the torque excuse that the TCs are failing. Unless of course the 3.7 owners go around at 4500 rpms all the time.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #5 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
If it is, then there goes the torque excuse that the TCs are failing. Unless of course the 3.7 owners go around at 4500 rpms all the time.
These transmissions are failing with the 3.7L also just not as often However I don't believe his year has the same tranny as the CRD's

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
post #6 of 12 Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 PM
homebudz
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just got my recall notice for the tcm,and some software update.I'll call on tuesday and set up the appt.I have a few other minor glitchs that need some attention,and I'll get the oil changed too.

2008 JK Wrangler X with the "S" package.Flowmaster 40.K&N dropin.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebudz
I just got my recall notice for the tcm,and some software update.I'll call on tuesday and set up the appt.I have a few other minor glitchs that need some attention,and I'll get the oil changed too.

What exactly does the recall state that it will fix? I haven't heard of this and it isn't on the Jeep.com site for my ride. I did get a recall back in May I think for the body thing and battery might go dead.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #8 of 12 Old 09-03-2006, 10:59 AM
ranger1
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
These transmissions are failing with the 3.7L also just not as often However I don't believe his year has the same tranny as the CRD's
02 Liberty has the same tranny as the CRD. 45RFE on the 02 V6 545RFE on the CRD. Same tranny except the 5th gear is electronically disabled on the 45RFE in the 02.

The 02 V6 with the 45RFE had one flaw - DC used a tranny cooler that was inside the radiator tank - with the result that these trannys run hot. My 02 would frequently run at 200F -210F in 90F summertime, as measured on the OBD port. I added an auxillary air tranny cooler on my 02 and the running temp dropped to 160F - 180F in summertime temps. DC dropped the intank cooler for a large air cooler on the 03-06 V6's. The CRD also has an air cooler, but its much smaller than the V6 tranny coolers, with the result that the CRD tranny temps run very hot on the CRD's. My 05 CRD runs around 210F most of the time in summer city stop and go driving. Once DC finally fixes the CRD tranny software, I'll add an aux cooler to that one also. Not touching it until they do. It's already burned up one tc at 18K. Adding another cooler now will just mask their software problems. It doesn't keep the tc lockup - constantly locking/unlocking and heating things up even worse.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-03-2006, 11:59 AM
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
What exactly does the recall state that it will fix? I haven't heard of this and it isn't on the Jeep.com site for my ride. I did get a recall back in May I think for the body thing and battery might go dead.
The recall states the they are not compliant with the EPA's OBDII standard. It says "The TCM was inadvertently programmed with software that may prevent proper communications with some aftermarket scan tools". Other threads here or on L.O.S.T indicate the TCM won't talk to DC's tool eather and therefore they can't do the recall The only way to flash it is to put in a new TCM then flash it and a dealer told one owner that DC has software issues to resolve first and they were not going to throw expensive TCM's at them untill they get their problems resolved so they in effect refused to do his recall

They've really gotten themselves in a pickle over this and hopefully we will benefit with a better operating vehicle

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
post #10 of 12 Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
The recall states the they are not compliant with the EPA's OBDII standard. It says "The TCM was inadvertently programmed with software that may prevent proper communications with some aftermarket scan tools". Other threads here or on L.O.S.T indicate the TCM won't talk to DC's tool eather and therefore they can't do the recall The only way to flash it is to put in a new TCM then flash it and a dealer told one owner that DC has software issues to resolve first and they were not going to throw expensive TCM's at them untill they get their problems resolved so they in effect refused to do his recall
This whole situation is comical. I'm just waiting for the recall paperwork to give my TCM connectivity a try. Already had my TCM replaced to get 18-009-06 to take. I think we get an e-check wavier in Ohio for the first 3 yrs so in theory this little glitch wouldn't surface and cause a problem until Jan '09 in my case. A little late to sue them under lemon laws.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-03-2006, 02:18 PM
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCRD
This whole situation is comical. I'm just waiting for the recall paperwork to give my TCM connectivity a try. Already had my TCM replaced to get 18-009-06 to take. I think we get an e-check wavier in Ohio for the first 3 yrs so in theory this little glitch wouldn't surface and cause a problem until Jan '09 in my case. A little late to sue them under lemon laws.

In Ohio E-check is done on a county by county thing and Central Ohio, Franklin county, Columbus, does not have e-check. Just you guys on the north end and those on the south by Cinnci. The pollution in Columbus is in a 1 block area around the state house though

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
post #12 of 12 Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Tri_X_Troll

1986 MJ Comanche 

Well, jeep likes to put crappy automatic transmissions in. I've had to replace the auto in my TJ twice already and have had to replace two torque converters in the second, and I know plenty of other Wrongler owners that have had auto problems. It seems like the only good automatic was the aw4 in the XJ.

Ryan- "I went from one crap-tastic drive train to another. At least the engine is the weak link this time"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.