transmission issues...help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > transmission issues...help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Stevusprime
2004 KJ Liberty 

transmission issues...help!

My 04 liberty has funny shift points and sometimes while from a stop takes a while to catch...i had it go into limp mode just the other day so i took the battery terminals off and held them together and it has been shifting ok..I have had the tranny rebuilt at a shop, but it still acts up...what can I do to further investigate?
Could it be maybe they used the wrong fluid, it seems over filled a little too.
It had a new computer (mounted on d/s wheel replaced back in 09)are they a common problem?

Stevusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevusprime View Post
My 04 liberty has funny shift points and sometimes while from a stop takes a while to catch...i had it go into limp mode just the other day so i took the battery terminals off and held them together and it has been shifting ok..I have had the tranny rebuilt at a shop, but it still acts up...what can I do to further investigate?
Could it be maybe they used the wrong fluid, it seems over filled a little too.
It had a new computer (mounted on d/s wheel replaced back in 09)are they a common problem?
If you had it rebuilt then the shop that did it has some culpability for its bad behavior if the rebuild came with any kind of warranty. I would bet the shop used the wrong transmission fluid - they should have used ATF+4. No matter what they tell you that is the ONLY fluid appropriate for the 42RLE transmission.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Stevusprime
2004 KJ Liberty 

It was acting up before I had it rebuilt but it did not solve the problem at all...I went to the junk yard and pulled input/output sensor from an 01 jeep grand cherokee with the same part numbers...I haven't had a chance to out them in yet.
I think its more of a computer or ground issue than tranny, I read on another forum to shut the car off while driving and start it back up and it will shift through the gears and it works for now...any other ideas?
Stevusprime is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.