Transmission or clutch burnt out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Transmission or clutch burnt out?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
littleissa86
2004 KJ Liberty 

Transmission or clutch burnt out?

Long time lurker, as this forum has been a huge help in solving past problems with our '04 Jeep Liberty. Hoping maybe you guys can do it again!

We got our Jeep used about 3 years ago from a car auction. It's been a great vehicle for us, never really giving us any issues until recently. Over Christmas, we had to replace the entire drive shaft, fix some coils, and do a general tune-up. About a month ago, we noticed that the check engine light popped on and it was shifting into OD a little harder than usual. We get the codes pulled at Autozone and here's what we got:
  • P1790 Fault immediately after shift
  • P0700 Transaxle control system fault, received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault, probable cause shortened or open circuit within transaxle
  • P0734 ECM has detected that the transmission input RPM does not match the transmition output RPM
  • P0740 Torque converter clutch circuit condition, TCC unlocked fr 10 seconds, ECM commands converter lock-up and did not record engine speed drop

I called the Jeep dealership, and after being blown off by the service manager a handful of times, he finally tells me to top off my fluid levels and see if that helps (his advice based on the codes it pulled), and to call him back if it doesn't. It didn't. And I can't seem to get him (or anyone at that dealership) to actually return my calls.

In the mean time, the Jeep is now having issues shifting into OD at all, and sticks in second or third gear often. I've been on this forum looking around and found that a lot of people who experienced this did a fluid and filter change (we've never done one since getting it 3 years ago) and replaced the TPS, which solved the problems.

Last week I called a local shop who comes highly recommended to us and who only charges for labor (and fairly-priced, too!) if you bring in your own stuff. We've got the TPS, the filter, fluid, and all that he needs to get it done, but it's going to be a week before he can get us in (our appointment is tomorrow afternoon). I had to drive it to work today, and on the way home it almost never shifted into OD, I could barely accelerate from a stop, and it's hitting 3k-4k RPMs at barely 20mph.

We don't have much money, and I have this horrible fear I'm going to have to pay for a whole new transmission.

I guess my question is for anyone who has experienced any issues like this, did the TPS/fluid & filter change help, did you have to do a whole new transmission, was it a clutch issue, etc? Just trying to have an idea of what I'm looking at before I actually go in tomorrow (and to figure out what organs I have to sell on the black market to pay for it all). Thanks in advance!

littleissa86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
KJ2Life
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had a similar issue on a truck of mine a while back. There is a sensor called a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) I'm not sure if liberties have them, but when mine went out, I almost never had OD, and 3rd gear. Also, the rpm gauge almost never worked. I hope this helps a little, as I'm not a transmission guy. Keep us posted!
KJ2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
littleissa86
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks! It goes in today, and I'm on the verge of an anxiety attack about it. Hubby thinks that the torque converter is slipping, too, but I don't know at all what that might entail in terms of fixing a transmission. I wonder if we can just replace that part, or if we would have to replace the entire transmission.
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Best bet is to obtain a good scan tool and monitor the transmission data. Make sure the speed sensors for the tranny work and are reporting correctly. If they are, and you see slippage being shown, time for a tranny. P0700 will always set whenever there is a trans code set. Best guess, clutch pack failed inside the tranny.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
chrisk240

It's not sounding mechanical, more of an electrical issue
chrisk240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk240 View Post
It's not sounding mechanical, more of an electrical issue
Could be electrical, but there is nothing that would convince me one way or the other.

P1790 Fault immediately after shift Self explanatory
P0700 Transaxle control system fault, received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault, probable cause shortened or open circuit within transaxleGeneric OBDII code that sets whenever a trans fault code is set. Doesn't mean that it is or is not electrical. The "probable cause" is not part of the code description, that was added by another source.
P0734 ECM has detected that the transmission input RPM does not match the transmition output RPMCode means the output RPMs do not match what was expected. Typical of a slippage condition, or a possibly a problem in the output speed sensor circuit.
P0740 Torque converter clutch circuit condition, TCC unlocked fr 10 seconds, ECM commands converter lock-up and did not record engine speed dropControl module was monitoring RPMs when the TCC was commanded on. Didn't not see expected rpm drop from the clutch engagement. Can be a result of a failed TCC solenoid, hydraulic pressure problem or internal slippage of the transmission.

At this point, without driving it with a scan tool to see what is going on, it's hard to say whether it is or isn't an electrical problem. If the vehicle has a decent amount of miles on it, it most likely will be a mechanical failure inside the transmission.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
littleissa86
2004 KJ Liberty 

Got it back today. Changed out the fluid and filter, but the TSP is so corroded on that they couldn't get it removed at all. He suggested an entirely new TPS assembly unit.

Also, he thinks it is the torque converter or just the transmission as a whole that needs to be replaced (although he didn't do a diagnostic). I called the dealership and he wants $2100 just for the transmission from Chrysler alone, and that's not including labor. That is SO ridiculously out of our price range. He's working on contacting AAMCO to see if they can do it for less (I think he feels guilty that he blew us off for an entire month and now our Jeep is basically un-driveable because it won't shift out of first gear) because he knows we're a single-income Army family and can't afford anything like what Chrysler wants for it.

So, that's where that's at. This is not turning out at all how we wanted, especially since this is our only car...ugh. Thanks for your help and input, guys!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.