Transmission/ 4 Wheel drive problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Transmission/ 4 Wheel drive problems

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
bling8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Transmission/ 4 Wheel drive problems

Am having issues with transmission on my 03 Liberty. When in 2H it will drive for a little bit then "pop out of gear" and make a grinding noise. Ill pull over and put it in neutral then reverse it will seem to grab back into gear then when I go back to Drive it does same thing and wont grab at all. When I put it in 4H it does the same thing. Loud grinding and no movement forward. Works fine in 4L. Also when it 4H I get a part time light that comes on. Any ideas as to what this could be?

bling8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The part time light turing on when in 4 high is normal,it should state 4low when your in low,and nothing when in 2wd.

As far as the other issue I'd start looking at the t-case 1st before the trans if you hear grinding noises and loose forward speed.
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling8 View Post
Am having issues with transmission on my 03 Liberty. When in 2H it will drive for a little bit then "pop out of gear" and make a grinding noise. Ill pull over and put it in neutral then reverse it will seem to grab back into gear then when I go back to Drive it does same thing and wont grab at all. When I put it in 4H it does the same thing. Loud grinding and no movement forward. Works fine in 4L. Also when it 4H I get a part time light that comes on. Any ideas as to what this could be?
What transfer case do you have?

The Select Trac lets you drive in Full Time 4X4 on any surface.

If you have the Command Trac case then you do not have Full Time 4X4 and can only travel in 4X4 mode for short journeys on extremely loose surfaces at under 50 mph.

If you have the Command Trac case and have been driving full time on firm surfaces then your transfer case is toast by now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.