Transfer case swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Transfer case swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Transfer case swap

I believe I've posted about this KJ before, but my cousin bought an 02 KJ with a bad 242. At first I thought it may have been the chain, but I believe it's the planetary gear setup for the full time 4 wheel drive. I sourced a low mileage (under 100k) 242 for her. It came from an 03 KJ. I'm going to make the assumption that these cases should be a direct swap and that no changes occurred between the two years. I'm a ZJ guy and every single year is different one way or another, so I guess I just want to make sure. What's all involved with dropping a transfer case on a KJ? I'm used to just pulling two driveshafts, disconnecting some linkage and sensors, and 6 nuts on studs. Does the crossmember have to come down to get it swapped? I haven't looked much underneath the Jeep so I'm not feeling too comfortable right now about the swap. If the actual work is as easy as I'm used to, then it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I just want to get my ducks in a row before I knock this out for her.

ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Someone with more knowledge than we will chime in and provide the correct answer, but in the mean time, are both KJ's automatic? The reason that I ask is that the '02 has the 45RFE Auto as where the '03 had the 42RLE trans, so You might want to take a look at the transfer case Input and see if they have the same shaft size and spline count, and take a look at the Adapter plate and see if the bolt holes all line up and are clocked correctly as well.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yup, both driveshafts, the linkage and sensors, and 6 nuts on studs. At least, that's how it is on my '05. Hit the studs/nuts,with PB before you start on the sensors and linkage and be careful with the plastic parts on the linkage as they get a bit brittle with age.

I'm with remmons, though: make sure the driveshaft connections are the same before you dig in (I think they are, since driveshaft parts lists the replacement CV head for '02-'07 KJs).
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #4
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Thanks! Can anyone attest to the cases being interchangeable between 02 and 03? I wasn't aware the transmissions were different. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work though. It may require an input swap or something. On ZJs, any 96 to 98 transfer case can be used with any 96-98 transmission (be it the 42RE, 44RE, or 46RE).
Unread 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann_KJ View Post
make sure the driveshaft connections are the same before you dig in (I think they are, since driveshaft parts lists the replacement CV head for '02-'07 KJs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Thanks! Can anyone attest to the cases being interchangeable between 02 and 03? I wasn't aware the transmissions were different. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work though. It may require an input swap or something. On ZJs, any 96 to 98 transfer case can be used with any 96-98 transmission (be it the 42RE, 44RE, or 46RE).
Check with the Input Gear, It's the only component that you should be worried about as that everything else should be the same.

Unread 06-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Cool. I'll check when I get the other one out, I guess.
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
2002Jeepdad

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Cool. I'll check when I get the other one out, I guess.
I'm up against the same thing now.
How did you make out? are the transfer cases & hook ups the same in the 2002 & 2003?
Unread 07-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Have any updates on your transfer case swap?

Unread 07-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #9
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I haven't done it yet. I was going to do it last weekend but ended up working all weekend. I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks starting Sunday so it's not going to get done probably until August now. Luckily, for my cousin, 2 wheel drive works. I have a little bit of time before the weather starts getting cold and snowy again; hopefully, it doesn't take me that long.

On another note, I did research the input gear between an 02 and an 03 KJ. They appear to have the same part number. That'd be sweet if the swap was a nice and easy swap. I'll update you guys when I finally get around to doing the swap. I appreciate your help.
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

LOL, I understand the work thing, my basket-case project sometimes sat for months because of work, or a shortage of funds. Keep us posted when you get to that point, we like to hear success stories, plus your information will help others down the road who will be doing the same thing.

Unread 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Not really a thread jack, but when looking for a replacement tc, what do you need one from? For example if I have an 03 3.7 with 42rle, can you use an 05 3.7 tc? Just wanting to know what's interchangeable and what isnt.
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yep. Looks like '02-'07 all interchange, if the above info is correct (and I think it is).
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann_KJ View Post
Yep. Looks like '02-'07 all interchange, if the above info is correct (and I think it is).
I will agree. I just finished doing some searching for the input gear and it looks like that they are all the same. Here is only one of the several examples that I have found.

Crown Automotive NP231 Transfer Case Input Gear 4798113

Part Number: CRO4798113

Item Description

Fits 1997 to 2000 TJ Wrangler
Fits 1994 to 1995 YJ Wrangler
Fits 1997 to 2001 XJ Cherokee
Fits 1994 to 1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee
Fits 2002 to 2007 KJ Liberty
NP231 transfer case
23 spline
Approximately 4.75 in length"

Edit: I just surfed the web with the key words "2002 Liberty NP242 Input Gear" and I keep getting these same results, so I would highly recommend calling Chrysler/Jeep and see for sure what the compatibility is.
Input Gear 1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 1994-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Unread 07-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
The_Dealer
2003 KJ Liberty 

So the only difference would be the output shaft spline count? I have a np231 from a tj with an sye I will swap in place of my worn out 242 if that's the case
Unread 07-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
So the only difference would be the output shaft spline count? I have a np231 from a tj with an sye I will swap in place of my worn out 242 if that's the case
That is something to search more into. At this point I would say that they are not compatible, but this was for the XJ Cherokee and not for the Liberty KJ. When I had adapted a NP242J from a 1988 XJ into my 1988 YJ, I wanted to do the slip yoke eliminator, but the only way to do it was either from one of a handful of suppliers or to do a hack-N-tap. Here is a great write up regarding the SYE on a NP242.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/o...l-read-426483/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.