Transfer case shifter bushing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
d_ni
2006 KJ Liberty 

Transfer case shifter bushing

Hi Guys,

The other day, when I changed from 4WD to 2WD on my liberty, I felt it a bit loose, and after this change, the shifter kept loose, like if it was "disconnected" and I wasn't able to change to 4WD anymore. I was reading a couple of posts on this forum regarding the same problem mostly in Wrangers and I saw that it's usually a bushing problem.

After that I had a look under that car, and yes, my bushing was disappeared... so I temporarily fixed it with a metal clip just to be able to deal with the snow that we have in Bonston and now I want to buy a new bushing to permanent fix the problem.

Reading the forum I saw different model of the bushing and I'm not 100% sure of which one is the right one for my 2006 3.7 4WD liberty. I believe that is the MOPAR #68001899AA but as I told, I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone can confirm to me that this is the right one and where I can buy it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Looks like the right one to me. Funny but I think I replaced mine with the same thing and I have a 242 Tcase.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-t...01899aa-m.html

"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
post #3 of 11 Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
d_ni
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thank you very much.

I just ordered it online after visiting some shops and none of them had stock.

I'll try to post some pictures.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
d_ni
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hi Guys,

I got the piece, but it's too big... or I'm dump and I can't put it in place... but I believe that it's too big, i can fit in in the "engine" part but it's as big as the cable end, so I can't fit the cable end on it... I attach a picture of the piece, can anyone help?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150218_083413.jpg  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 10:27 AM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

I had to grease mine a bit with bearing grease and press it in with pliers. It has to be pushed into the cable end first and then snapped onto the lever. The bushing should be tight but was pliable enough to squeeze in with much force. Once in it fit perfectly and snapped over the shift lever end at the Tcase. If it is cold where you are working, it may be very difficult. I originally ordered a green one but I guess that goes on the other end of the cable at the actual shift lever in the console.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
d_ni
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blue View Post
I had to grease mine a bit with bearing grease and press it in with pliers. It has to be pushed into the cable end first and then snapped onto the lever. The bushing should be tight but was pliable enough to squeeze in with much force. Once in it fit perfectly and snapped over the shift lever end at the Tcase. If it is cold where you are working, it may be very difficult. I originally ordered a green one but I guess that goes on the other end of the cable at the actual shift lever in the console.
It is freezing! I live in Boston... Ok, I'll give it another try tomorrow if it's not snowing... Thanks for the tip with the grease!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ni View Post
It is freezing! I live in Boston... Ok, I'll give it another try tomorrow if it's not snowing... Thanks for the tip with the grease!
Try to warm it up a bit too. It's pretty flexible when it's not so cold.

Boston, that explains the cold. You are having a "fun" winter. We're getting a bit of your weather today. About 8 inches of snow but at least it's not below zero like it had been the past few morning. We've been lucky to get out of the teens the past week or so.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
d_ni
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Try to warm it up a bit too. It's pretty flexible when it's not so cold.

Boston, that explains the cold. You are having a "fun" winter. We're getting a bit of your weather today. About 8 inches of snow but at least it's not below zero like it had been the past few morning. We've been lucky to get out of the teens the past week or so.

This is not the right part... I tried to warm it up and nothing... even I tried to cut a bit the outer part of the plastic in order to reduce the size of it and fit it inside and nothing... This piece is too big, I attach a picture of the right size (after removing the outer plastic part of the piece), but even like that, it doesn't work, it goes out after a couple of times of using it...

Any idea?
Attached Thumbnails
2015-02-28 15.13.32.jpg   2015-02-28 15.13.26.jpg  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-03-2015, 08:14 PM
02blue
2005 KJ Liberty 

Maybe an image of the cable end would be more useful. That is the one I used on mine. I had to use channel locks to press it in but fit nice and snug. Once again, mine is the 242 but the part description actually says 231 like you have. I pressed it into the cable end and then snapped it onto the shift lever.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
d_ni
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Maybe an image of the cable end would be more useful. That is the one I used on mine. I had to use channel locks to press it in but fit nice and snug. Once again, mine is the 242 but the part description actually says 231 like you have. I pressed it into the cable end and then snapped it onto the shift lever.
Yes, you are right, I'll take a picture of the end of the cable.

Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-04-2015, 06:14 PM
jeepsterscreep

Keep us posted! This just happened on my 2005 Liberty as well. Two zip-ties have kept me in place but I'd like to get the correct bushing sooner than later. I'm in NJ, so I hear you on the snow!

Tags
bushing , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.